PDA

View Full Version : My re-painted 97 Subaru has hazy doors - suggestions?

ecetim
07-21-2007, 02:33 PM
So I've got a full complement of tools from AG, including a UDM and XMT #3, #1, glaze, and 180 wax. I've also got DG105 sealant.

My Subaru had a repaint late last year, cheap $1000 in 2-weeks job, but the overall quality of the paint job isn't too bad. However the guy was in a hurry and didn't finish buffing the sides out properly or something, so they have been hazy since I got the car back.

This car is a hauler (wagon) and technically a beater, but it is actually in good condition overall and I want to correct & protect the paint.

There are a fair amount of swirls, but my biggest concern is the haze on the sides of the car. The guy said he would use a glaze to finish buffing it out, so I assume a glaze is what I need.

I'm planning the following steps:

Wash
Clay
Wash
UDM with XMT swirl removal (1 or 3, not sure which)
UDM with XMT Glaze
UDM with DG105 sealant (I want long lasting protection for the paint)
Maybe UDM with XMT 180 wax

Should the glaze take care of the hazy sides? Any other input? Thanks

EDIT

Hey guys,
Sorry I didn't see these responses yesterday. I washed & clayed the car last night as I didn't have time for the UDM. I did take a couple pics after wash to show the defects. These are of the pass side, can you see how muted the flash is? I hope this shows the haze well

http://supplespub.com/images/haze1.jpg
http://supplespub.com/images/haze2.jpg

mywifehatesclowns
07-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Kinda hard to tell without pictures my friend.

I would say a good polish with a medium cut foam pad 1200-1500 RPM (depending on product)

followed by some glaze with a soft polish pad 1200-1500 (depending on product)

I would make sure that you work your product well in those areas and just check on it real well after buffing.

What color is this car?

I would say use a wool pad with the polish, but then your gonna have to follow up with a foam pad and polish right after to remove the swirl marks normally left by wool pads. It all really depends on how soft the paint is wheter you should use a wool pad or not.

Thejoyofdriving
07-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Well if you are talking about a true glaze, then all that will do is cover it up, if you want to remove it completely than go with XMT#3, then if you wish follow with a glaze, than sealant. Ive used glazes a few times but for me they didnt do any thing.

Thejoyofdriving
07-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Kinda hard to tell without pictures my friend.

I would say a good polish with a medium cut foam pad 1200-1500 RPM (depending on product)

followed by some glaze with a soft polish pad 1200-1500 (depending on product)

I would make sure that you work your product well in those areas and just check on it real well after buffing.

What color is this car?

I would say use a wool pad with the polish, but then your gonna have to follow up with a foam pad and polish right after to remove the swirl marks normally left by wool pads. It all really depends on how soft the paint is wheter you should use a wool pad or not.

First of all he is using a udm, not a rotary, so thats OPM not RPM. His car is red. for polishing with a udm use speed 5

mywifehatesclowns
07-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh that is what a "UDM" is.

DId not know, never had interest in Dual Action Machines.

Speed 5 = ? in OPM? (just so that i have an idea on that machine)

You are more than right about most GLazes being nothing more than fillers. Polishing is what is needed in his scenario

Thejoyofdriving
07-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh that is what a "UDM" is.

DId not know, never had interest in Dual Action Machines.

Speed 5 = ? in OPM? (just so that i have an idea on that machine)

Speed 5 is around 5,000-5,500 OPM, i didnt mean to sound harsh if i did hatesclown, no hard feelings :cheers:

mywifehatesclowns
07-21-2007, 02:54 PM
NO worries, I learned about Dual Actions long after I had gotten into Rotary machines, so once your too far into a good thing, ya just stay on track.

ecetim
07-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Hey guys,
Sorry I didn't see these responses yesterday. I washed & clayed the car last night as I didn't have time for the UDM. I did take a couple pics after wash to show the defects. These are of the pass side, can you see how muted the flash is? I hope this shows the haze well

http://supplespub.com/images/haze1.jpg
http://supplespub.com/images/haze2.jpg