PDA

View Full Version : Dent and scratch repair before selling or trading in

SSStang
05-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Hi,

Well its time to possible sell or trade in my wife 2012 Acura tl. I know if I trade it it I will get less but o well.
To maximize the trade in or sale of the car should I get it dents and scratches fixed?
I got a quote of $426 to get two dents (PDR small door dings) and to remove or touch up paint wet sand all or any scratches on the car. There are are about 4 scratches that will need touch up paint and wet sanded and polished out, and some others a buffer will take out. Not sure of the exact process the shop uses but he said he could make them disappear.

So is it worth it to get those items fixed or try to sell the car as is? Could always get a written quote to show a potential buyer the cost if they want to have it fixed?

Thanks for any feed back

Docpeanut
05-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Leave em be and trade it in at night

GreatAvalon
05-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I'd leave them too. And +1 @ trade in at night. In the rain too :D

Be sure to look at the new car before that though, so you can see the condition of it!

SSStang
05-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Yeah it doesn't get dark till 930 and they close at 7

dsg03gt
05-04-2014, 11:45 PM
I have never had a dent or scratch affect my trade in values at all. don't worry about them. Save the $425 and buy detailing supplies for the new car.

GreatAvalon
05-05-2014, 01:53 AM
Yeah it doesn't get dark till 930 and they close at 7
Wow, dark @ 930.

Then when it's raining :D

But dsg makes a good point, it may not matter. Or it might, who knows. Maybe they do stuff differently in Germany than in the US

SSStang
05-05-2014, 02:58 AM
Well just made the appointment for wednesday. Decided to do it because I am hoping not to trade it in and get it sold privately. Had someone who looked at buying the car and he was quick to point them out as faults and wanted a lower price because of it.
I need to take a few before and after pics.
Charging 75 euro($106) for each PDR seems kinda pricey but thats the best deal I found.

dsg03gt
05-05-2014, 04:04 AM
Someone is always going to point out something they don't like when buying it. Its a way of negotiating.