Bug Guts Driving Me Insane!

SoonerGM

Reaction score
i work an evening shift, so i do a lot of night time driving every day. i get pelted with bugs on my way home every night. i have been trying to keep up with them at least weekly. i was so excited to finally get my ONR so i can quickly wipe them off each night when i get home.

the problem is, it's not working. i am spraying the area down with ONR to presoak the area. i then take micro fibers that have been soaking in ONR to wipe the area down. i have also tried laying a wet towel(again soaked with ONR) to saturate the guts before wiping. it's working on some, but most of the crap will not come off. i am in no hurry either, i just spent an hour trying to clean the front bumper without much success.

also, they aren't that old. i just spayed the car with a pressure washer last night and came home and did a rinseless on the whole car. now i didn't get them all off last night but i got most of them. tonight there are even more, even after spending so much time on it.

what is everyone's preffered method for dealing with this? do i need to use a freaking bug and tar remover every night and rewax the area? so frustrated right now. big thanks in advance.

I use a bug sponge with a bucket of soap and water. Make sure it's well lubricated with the soap and water then let the sponge do the work. That works well for me. Make sure you got a good wax or sealent once it's clean then go about your daily routine of cleaning when you get home. Snap a few pics so we can see what you are talking about and help you out better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

this is the best picture i can come up with right now. ill try again in the day, or i may have to break out the real camera. most of those specs are bug particles that are stubborn. i'm not as worried about the plastic trim, i'm pretty sure i can get that off.

IMG_20140506_04342_edit_1399369267404.jpg

I make sure to mist on some Duragloss Aquawax at least once a week on the front of my cars.
It makes it so easy to remove the bug guts, as simple as using a rinse-wash in a spray bottle.
I have the same problem being I leave for work while it's still dark.
I find this to be very helpful.

There are temporary solutions available today and one is from a company called Road Wrap.

• Easy to install disposable film that protects paint
  • Removes cleanly
  • Guaranteed satisfaction
  • Protects vehicle from bugs, road grime, tree sap, tar, and rock chips while driving
  • Great for cars, trucks, SUVs, vans, and RVs, boats, and motorcycles

I was going to say OPC or Tar-X. But I'm not sure if those would be good for daily maintenance since I'm not sure if it will strip away your LSP, which makes it harder for next time.

We have bug season twice a year here in Florida.
So when that time of the year rolls around, I found that the fastest and least-aggravating way to get bugs off the front of the car is to use APC.

Yes, I said APC.

I spray down the front of the car with it, let it soak for a minute or two, then hose it down with a strong stream of water, if not a pressure washer.

You said you were in no hurry.

Of course, this removes any wax or sealant that was on the front of the car, so I just use a quick spray wax or sealant to re-apply for the next day.

Honestly, I would rather have a fresh coat of protection ready for each day than to try and clean off the bugs, hoping I didn't leave an unprotected spot where the bug used to be.

Now, of course, this may not be feasible for everyone due to time constraints but this is what I prefer to do.

I haven't tried the newer bug removers from AG yet, although I have used some from other brands that were labeled specifically to remove bugs. I find that they are no better than good old APC, and I reapply a spray wax afterwards anyway just for good measure.

If you're talking those Florida love bugs, they can be a PITA to get rid of. Those things are EXTRA sticky!!!

When I worked down there I used degreaser and a pressure washer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf's Chemical - The Mask. Its a temporary spray on clear bra. A simple wash takes it off along with the bug guts.

Wolf's Chemical - The Mask. Its a temporary spray on clear bra. A simple wash takes it off along with the bug guts.

Awesome product!

I was doing some research after you suggested this and I saw on another forum that you were going to try the 3M product. I guess you like The Mask better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Foaming the car, letting it dwell, and pressure washing it off will get rid of most bugs for me. When I need a little more, I use the 1Z Bug & Tar Spray.

I bought the "bug sponge" - but never had to use it with this combo.

How often are you doing that swani? I'm worried about the bugs sitting for too long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Just when I wash my car. Maybe the bugs are worse where you live. But, this is why I got a clear bra for the front, so I'm not too worried about pitting or what not.

I wonder how up opti coat would hold up to the bugs.

We all maintain or cars to really great condition. Maybe just a quick polish and then apply opti coat.

You could even just do the front end. I would say on a front end like my 03' Dodge Stratus I could get 10 - 12 more/less applications of opti coat from a syringe dedicated to the front end.

And since Opti Coat is chemical resistant APC might not remove it. Could be a win
/win situation for you guys having to deal with this.

Just a thought

Fighting them daily would be a waste for me on a DD. I wait till my weekend wash and hit them with PB bug remover. And i have the new DP bug remover waiting in the wings. A good LSP and glass sealant go's a long way here.

I would think one would go crazy fighting them on a daily basics.

Woke at 7am before work to get them off the girlfriends windshield and bumper (white Jeep). It was bad...

Ended up washing the whole thing. I just couldn't wash a windshield and bumper.

Then used Megs D156 for a bit of protection until I have more time...because I couldn't stop at the wash...

Bug Guts? Are you in northwest Minnesota? If not, take a trip there.

Right to the Detroit Lakes area, where within a 50 mile radius, there's 412 lakes.

Drive 15 miles, and you cannot even see out of the windshield. Yep, and go ahead, and hit the washer fluid, and wipers, it will look like somebody just dumped a 5 gallon pail of Portland Cement.

Love MN, hate the bugs in summer, and hate the cold in winter. But as far as fishing? The finest in the world! Crappies bigger than Pie Plates, succulent Smallmoth Bass, Walleyes, and Muskys the size of Tarpon.

Back