making my Ram look its best

hydro556

Reaction score
Guys, I am sort of a newb and want to make my Ram look its best. It only has 20K so paint is good. I am going to list what I have and you guys tell me what the best process would be get THE look.

I currently have XMT360(on the way), clay bar/lube, and a car wash. I am not opposed to buying Pinnacle Soveran if it would far exceed the 360. I have a Makita 6040 and an orange, white, black and wool pad from LC. Tell me the best way to go. Hand polish or machine and which pads. Thanks and heres the before pics.

HPIM0454.jpg

I can't comment on rotary procedures, sorry - but your top Pinnacle wax for silver is Signature Series 2, not Pinnacle Souveran. This is due to the colors they were formulated for.
Good luck! Very nice truck!

Thanks, Ito. The truck is actually more of a bronze or gold, not really silver at all. They call it Metallic Khaki if I recall. So the best wax is actually specific to vehicle color? I always figured the best quality was the best best quality, but have no experience to back this up.

Given the truck is Khaki instead of silver, do you still think sig series II is the best route?

Another shot, in the shade, I think it may show the color better.

HPIM0460.jpg

i used sig series 2 yesterday on my dark grey mettalicf350 it came out awesome. nice and wet

hydro556 said:
Guys, I am sort of a newb and want to make my Ram look its best. It only has 20K so paint is good. I am going to list what I have and you guys tell me what the best process would be get THE look.

I currently have XMT360(on the way), clay bar/lube, and a car wash. I am not opposed to buying Pinnacle Soveran if it would far exceed the 360. I have a Makita 6040 and an orange, white, black and wool pad from LC. Tell me the best way to go. Hand polish or machine and which pads. Thanks and heres the before pics.

HPIM0454.jpg
Hydro, your Ram looks nice. When did you polish last? Don't polish if you don't have too. Machine for polish and hand for waxes. Souveran paste for dark colors and Sig 11 for lighter colors such as yours. If you do polish with 360 it should be lsp ready, but putting a coat of sig11 will really give you added protection and that extra shine.:cheers:

hydro556 said:
Thanks, Ito. The truck is actually more of a bronze or gold, not really silver at all. They call it Metallic Khaki if I recall. So the best wax is actually specific to vehicle color? I always figured the best quality was the best best quality, but have no experience to back this up.

Given the truck is Khaki instead of silver, do you still think sig series II is the best route?

Hydro,
Awesome color! Yes, Sig Series 2 for sure. See, Rsurfer agrees! It will look great on your truck!:cheers:

L.T.:)

ltoman said:
Hydro,
Awesome color! Yes, Sig Series 2 for sure. See, Rsurfer agrees! It will look great on your truck!:cheers:

L.T.:)

:iagree: also. Sig Series II. She looks great as is.

Another vote for Sig Series II. I haven't used it, but everyone raves about it for lighter colors. I use Souveran on my dark green car and it is a fantastic wax. Another option, less expensive, would be DP Max Wax. I have used that on white and silver and it is a great wax.

Reddwarf said:
Another vote for Sig Series II. I haven't used it, but everyone raves about it for lighter colors. I use Souveran on my dark green car and it is a fantastic wax. Another option, less expensive, would be DP Max Wax. I have used that on white and silver and it is a great wax.
:iagree: Used both with great results on light grey metallic.

Reddwarf said:

Reddwarf said:

Rsurfer said:
Hydro, your Ram looks nice. When did you polish last? Don't polish if you don't have too. Machine for polish and hand for waxes. Souveran paste for dark colors and Sig 11 for lighter colors such as yours. If you do polish with 360 it should be lsp ready, but putting a coat of sig11 will really give you added protection and that extra shine.:cheers:
I am unsure of some of the terminology. If, by polish, you mean something abrasive, like compound, I have never done it since the truck was new. I have only washed and waxed with OTC products since new. I was hoping to wash it well, and then apply the XMT360 with orange pad to clean up any slight scratches that may exist. Should I go this route and then apply an LSP? If so which one? Forgive my ignorance.

ETA- guys. I didnt read all the replies before I just posted, I see there seems to be a consensus on the sig 11. I wish I would have added that to my order. I guess I will place another. I was thinking the 360 would do it all, as the paint is really nice still, but I will do what it takes. I want it to really turn heads. The paint is actually quite beautiful, with the metal flake.

I am under the impression that 360 is an all in one, meaning it takes out slight blemishes (assuming you use a slightly abrasive ppad, like an LC Orange) as well as serving as an LSP. But this doesnt seem to be the best route.

How will it look if I just wash, clay and apply the 360 with an orange and buff it off with a moistened white pad?

Last edited:
hydro556 said:
I am unsure of some of the terminology. If, by polish, you mean something abrasive, like compound, I have never done it since the truck was new. I have only washed and waxed with OTC products since new. I was hoping to wash it well, and then apply the XMT360 with orange pad to clean up any slight scratches that may exist. Should I go this route and then apply an LSP? If so which one? Forgive my ignorance.

Wash, clay, wash or qd and 360 with white pad and see if scratches are gone, if not, move up to the orange pad. Lsp with either sig11 or max wax. :cheers:

Thanks Surfer. Will do.One more Q. If I get the Sig11, what application method (by hand, or with the Makita, and if so, which pad for on and which pad for off) would give the best look? Also, my buffer is the makita 6040, it can be a random orbital or a rotary. If my paints imperfections are very minor, am I wiser to stick with the random mode? I can always step it up to rotary if the blemishes arent corrected, right?

I realize that I have a ton of questions, but who better to ask than the pros, right?

hydro556 said:

ETA- guys. I didnt read all the replies before I just posted, I see there seems to be a consensus on the sig 11. I wish I would have added that to my order. I guess I will place another. I was thinking the 360 would do it all, as the paint is really nice still, but I will do what it takes. I want it to really turn heads. The paint is actually quite beautiful, with the metal flake.

I am under the impression that 360 is an all in one, meaning it takes out slight blemishes (assuming you use a slightly abrasive ppad, like an LC Orange) as well as serving as an LSP. But this doesnt seem to be the best route.

How will it look if I just wash, clay and apply the 360 with an orange and buff it off with a moistened white pad?

Skip the moistened white pad and wipe with a mf. You can leave the 360 alone, but a wax will give you more protection and a better look.

Good enough, Thanks. I am going to do the following.

Wash, clay, QD, dry and then apply the 360 with the finishing pad, buff off any residue with a MF. If the look isnt good enough I will go ahead and get another LSP, such as the sig11 and give that a shot. Thanks for the help and I will add "after" pics when finished with the 360.

BTW- should I set the Makita to random orbit or rotary and what speeds are best? Or I am thinking too much and should just try it both ways and go with whatever works best?

hydro556 said:
Good enough, Thanks. I am going to do the following.

Wash, clay, QD, dry and then apply the 360 with the finishing pad, buff off any residue with a MF. If the look isnt good enough I will go ahead and get another LSP, such as the sig11 and give that a shot. Thanks for the help and I will add "after" pics when finished with the 360.

BTW- should I set the Makita to random orbit or rotary and what speeds are best? Or I am thinking too much and should just try it both ways and go with whatever works best?
:iagree: Good Luck

Back