In need of some guidance

autonoob

Reaction score
Hello,

As my username suggests, I am new to detailing. I apologize in advance I am posting this is the wrong sub forum....I wish to detail a car correctly. My dad recently purchased a new 2014 Honda Accord LX (Silver). I made sure to tell him not to wash the car yet because I didn't wants him or me to screw it up and put swirl marks on it. I watched some "junkman" vidoes on Youtube so I know about the 2 bucket wash and the bare basics. If you could answer the questions below I would appreciate it.

1.) Is my supply list below complete? And do let me know if I am about to purchase a product that doesn't suit my skill level or is a bad product.
- 2 buckets (own)
- 2 grit guards (need to buy)
- Gilmour 75QGFMR Foam Gun (need to buy)
- Chemical Guys Mr. Pink foam liquid (need to buy)
- 2 wash mits (own)
- Simoniz S57 Perfect Finish Detailing Clay Bar (need to buy)
- Meguiar's M7 Mirror Glaze Show Car Glaze - 16 oz. (need to buy)
- Meguiar's M26 Mirror Glaze Hi-Tech Yellow Wax - 16 oz. (need to buy)
- Meguiar's X3070 4" Soft Foam Applicator Pads, (Pack of 2) (need to buy)

2.) I am particularly worried about the Meg's #7. For what I have read on this forum, it is a very oily substance and needs to be applied in very thin layers, in vertical strokes. Is this hard to do? And what I don't understand is how can the Meg's #26 wax be applied on top of the polish if the polish is oily. It doesn't make sense in my mind. It seems to me that the polish and the wax would just gloop together or something.

3.) Is my process below on washing/detailing the exterior correct?
- Rinse car in water
- Clean tires
- Use foam gun on car
-While foam is still on the car use wash mits and 2 bucket system to wash car from top to bottom.
- Rinse off wash, and then clay car while using car wash as a lubricant.
- Maybe rinse it off again
- Polish car
- wax car

4.) Not a question but I just wanted to note that I do not own one of those rotating buffers and do not intend to buy one because I don't have enough money for one.

Thanks for looking at my post!

Welcome to autogeek......looking good so far though megs number 7 is a glaze(lotion) that last a week if that and help bring back oxidized paintwork and also don't rinse the first then wash the wheels to the wheels first that way your less likely to get water spots

Hello,

As my username suggests, I am new to detailing. I apologize in advance I am posting this is the wrong sub forum....I wish to detail a car correctly. My dad recently purchased a new 2014 Honda Accord LX (Silver). I made sure to tell him not to wash the car yet because I didn't wants him or me to screw it up and put swirl marks on it. I watched some "junkman" vidoes on Youtube so I know about the 2 bucket wash and the bare basics. If you could answer the questions below I would appreciate it.

1.) Is my supply list below complete? And do let me know if I am about to purchase a product that doesn't suit my skill level or is a bad product.
- 2 buckets (own)
- 2 grit guards (need to buy)
- Gilmour 75QGFMR Foam Gun (need to buy)
- Chemical Guys Mr. Pink foam liquid (need to buy)
- 2 wash mits (own) What kind of Mitts are they?
- Simoniz S57 Perfect Finish Detailing Clay Bar (need to buy) Any clay bar will be fine
- Meguiar's M7 Mirror Glaze Show Car Glaze - 16 oz. (need to buy) Skip the M07
- Meguiar's M26 Mirror Glaze Hi-Tech Yellow Wax - 16 oz. (need to buy) I would go with M21 2.0 or even Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Sealant
- Meguiar's X3070 4" Soft Foam Applicator Pads, (Pack of 2) (need to buy)

• Additional Items:
  • Quality Waffle Weave drying towels
  • Quality Microfiber towels for removing wax/sealant
  • Quick detailing spray or spray wax for after washes
  • Wheel cleaner
  • Iron dissolver (IronX)
  • All Purpose Cleaner

2.) I am particularly worried about the Meg's #7. For what I have read on this forum, it is a very oily substance and needs to be applied in very thin layers, in vertical strokes. Is this hard to do? And what I don't understand is how can the Meg's #26 wax be applied on top of the polish if the polish is oily. It doesn't make sense in my mind. It seems to me that the polish and the wax would just gloop together or something.

3.) Is my process below on washing/detailing the exterior correct?
    - Rinse car in water
    - Clean tires
    - Use foam gun on car
    -While foam is still on the car use wash mits and 2 bucket system to wash car from top to bottom.
    - Rinse off wash, and then clay car while using car wash as a lubricant. I am not a fan of using the car was as a lubricant. I feel that the clay deteriorates very quickly. You can use something like Optimum No Rinse as a lube and a rinseless wash great bang for you're buck
    - Maybe rinse it off again
    - Polish car If you are going to polish by hand I would go with Megiuar's Ultimate Polish. Easy to use. I would then get a few more applicators if you are going to polish
    - wax car

4.) Not a question but I just wanted to note that I do not own one of those rotating buffers and do not intend to buy one because I don't have enough money for one.

Thanks for looking at my post!
Everything is in red for you.

:welcome: to the Forum!

[/LIST]
Everything is in red for you.

:welcome: to the Forum!

Thank You Evan.J. What is iron dissolve for? And for a mits, I have some no name mits I got from local auto store. They fit over my hand.....Also, if I skip the polish/glaze and just use the sealant that you mentioned, will the car shine? Will I see reflections?

:welcome: To Autogeek Online!! :props:

Once you actually start detailing you'll see how everything works together. The hardest part of detailing is to spend more time reading and almost no time using a polisher because they're afraid to make a mistake...

Meguiar's #7 is a great product and absolutely nothing to fear. It goes in with a microfiber towel, foam pad, or a blue foam pad on a dual action polisher...Meguiar's #7 does a beautiful job at restoring older single stage finishes prior to buffing or that show car look all by itself and it also contains fillers...

The downside to Meguiar's #7 is it offers no protection so once it dries and buffed add a layer of wax to give it some durability....and bump up the gloss...:props:

:welcome: To Autogeek Online!! :props:

Once you actually start detailing you'll see how everything works together. The hardest part of detailing is to spend more time reading and almost no time using a polisher because they're afraid to make a mistake...

Meguiar's #7 is a great product and absolutely nothing to fear. It goes in with a microfiber towel, foam pad, or a blue foam pad on a dual action polisher...Meguiar's #7 does a beautiful job at restoring older single stage finishes prior to buffing or that show car look all by itself and it also contains fillers...

The downside to Meguiar's #7 is it offers no protection so once it dries and buffed add a layer of wax to give it some durability....and bump up the gloss...:props:
\

Thanks BobbyG, so then should I not use #7, because its a new car and not a old car?

This is a very budget friendly list
- Much of the products are in low size (8oz)
- Most of the products can be used for 2-3 different types of areas, i.e. APC for wheels, tires, engine, bugs, etc
- Great list for just getting started and trying everything out!

Wash, clay, dry
Grit Guard, $10 use one bucket and one grit guard: The Grit Guard Insert - Red
8oz ONR, $8
.. You can use this as your wash media, clay lubricant, and some people use it as there glass solution.. different dilution ratios for different tasks: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products
Wash mitt, $6.. by far my favorite mitt: Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt
Fine grade nanoscrub, $13... your clay media. you can use it more than once: Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge
Drying towel, $16 for drying, obviously: The Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel by Cobra is a better drying towel than a chamois, or terry cloth towel. Microfiber makes the best

Wheels, tires, undercarriage
All purpose cleaner (APC), $9.. you can use this for tires, wheels, undercarriage, leather, interior fabric, vinyl, engine etc.. you just need to dilute appropriately (i.e. 10:1, 4:1)
Tire/trim gel, $7.. for all exterior rubber: Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Tire gel protectant, OPT Tire Dressing Gel, protect tires, optibond tire gel
exterior brush, $8 for your wheels, emblems, gas cap, engine, and anything else on exterior: Lug Nut Brush,Clean Wheel Brush,clean brake calipers, clean lug nuts, boar's hair wheel brush, best wheel brush, wheel lug nuts
brush pack, $15.. you can use these for your tires, undercarriage, engine, etc: Tire/Wheel Brush Kit
Inner wheel brush, $10 to get the inner barrel of your wheels: 16 Inch Wire Wheel Brush

paint correction, protection,
pads, compounds, polishes, backing plate, $90 this is a perfect setup to remove swirls and scratches and to achieve high gloss: Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit
Spray sealant/quick detailer, $19 top off after correction and also apply once a month: Chemical Guys V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant Detailer
polisher machine, $140 there is the Porter Cable which is slightly cheaper, but for the extra bucks the GG6 is waayyyy stronger: Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher
brush to clean pads, $13.. to clean the pads as you go. Or you can use a terry cloth, or find a stiff nylon: Foam Pad Conditioning Brush cleans and reconditions foam and wool pads on the buffer. remove excess caked wax and polish from buffing pads.

All that is ~$348. Wait around for a 15% and sometimes even a 20% discount!

The towels sold here aren't cheap. You can find quality towels on other sites that wont break the bank

all you need left is:
- towels for polishing (use for windows, spray sealant, and wax)
- tire applicator pad (local autoparts)

Send me a pm if you need help with any of this. Doing anything by hand sucks.. Its just not as fun nor rewarding

This is a very budget friendly list
- Much of the products are in low size (8oz)
- Most of the products can be used for 2-3 different types of areas, i.e. APC for wheels, tires, engine, bugs, etc
- Great list for just getting started and trying everything out!

Wash, clay, dry
Grit Guard, $10 use one bucket and one grit guard: The Grit Guard Insert - Red
8oz ONR, $8
.. You can use this as your wash media, clay lubricant, and some people use it as there glass solution.. different dilution ratios for different tasks: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products
Wash mitt, $6.. by far my favorite mitt: Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt
Fine grade nanoscrub, $13... your clay media. you can use it more than once: Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge
Drying towel, $16 for drying, obviously: The Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel by Cobra is a better drying towel than a chamois, or terry cloth towel. Microfiber makes the best

Wheels, tires, undercarriage
All purpose cleaner (APC), $9.. you can use this for tires, wheels, undercarriage, leather, interior fabric, vinyl, engine etc.. you just need to dilute appropriately (i.e. 10:1, 4:1)
Tire/trim gel, $7.. for all exterior rubber: Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Tire gel protectant, OPT Tire Dressing Gel, protect tires, optibond tire gel
exterior brush, $8 for your wheels, emblems, gas cap, engine, and anything else on exterior: Lug Nut Brush,Clean Wheel Brush,clean brake calipers, clean lug nuts, boar's hair wheel brush, best wheel brush, wheel lug nuts
brush pack, $15.. you can use these for your tires, undercarriage, engine, etc: Tire/Wheel Brush Kit
Inner wheel brush, $10 to get the inner barrel of your wheels: 16 Inch Wire Wheel Brush

paint correction, protection,
pads, compounds, polishes, backing plate, $90 this is a perfect setup to remove swirls and scratches and to achieve high gloss: Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit
Spray sealant/quick detailer, $19 top off after correction and also apply once a month: Chemical Guys V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant Detailer
polisher machine, $140 there is the Porter Cable which is slightly cheaper, but for the extra bucks the GG6 is waayyyy stronger: Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher
brush to clean pads, $13.. to clean the pads as you go. Or you can use a terry cloth, or find a stiff nylon: Foam Pad Conditioning Brush cleans and reconditions foam and wool pads on the buffer. remove excess caked wax and polish from buffing pads.

All that is ~$348. Wait around for a 15% and sometimes even a 20% discount!

The towels sold here aren't cheap. You can find quality towels on other sites that wont break the bank

all you need left is:
- towels for polishing (use for windows, spray sealant, and wax)
- tire applicator pad (local autoparts)

Send me a pm if you need help with any of this. Doing anything by hand sucks.. Its just not as fun nor rewarding

Thanks a lot for the detailed write up. I'm constrained with my budget tho. I can spend around $150.…can I forgo the buffer machine? The car is new so it doesn't have swirls or scratches. I am not sure if the wax and polish can be applied by hand.

I would like to buy all my products from autogeek but with shipping costs, amazon seems to be cheaper. Are there promotions on autogeek for like 20% off and free shipping?

i've purchased 4 new cars in the past year and they ALL had some form of swirls. Usually from the dealer prep or in my Raptor's case from the factory.

Yes, your right, my car probably has scratches on it but the color is silver and they don't really show up. And I don't have the time or ability to do paint corrections. Hopefully I can apply wax and polish by hand.

Back