Coatings...how many available today?

jmsc

Reaction score
Curiousity question.

About how many coating products are available to us? 10, 20, 50?

That isn't an easy question to answer. Certainly more than 20 brands/labels of coatings are marketed but it isn't at all clear how much of that is just relabeling. What constitutes "available" is another issue as the greatest number of them are produced and sold in East Asia and have no formal North American distribution. There are far more coatings available in Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand than are marketed here. Europe also seems to have a significantly wider selection than the U.S. market.

I was actually counting the coatings on the market. It's about a lot and a half

Thanks.

Didn't realize Asia, Europe had so much representation.

Yea, a lot coming from a Singapore based company that are getting good reviews.

I always thought it was higher in Europe and English speaking countries. Japan I could understand, they love their cars there. They have a similar culture as to here in Australia

Off the top of my head...

Optimum Opti-Coat
22PLE VX1
CarPro CQuartz
CarPro Reload
Gtechniq C1
Gtechniq Exo
Detailer's Paint Coating
Pinnacle Black Label Diamond
Nanoskin Megatrend
Permanon
Wolf's Hard Body
Duragloss Enviroshield
CG Second Skin

Sure I've missed a few, some people are talking about Americoat, but I can't find anything outside of a Californian powder coating company and some industrial baking equipment coating when I google it. -_-

That's The Trouble With Coatings:
They're "multiplying like Tribbles"!! :eek:

"Bob" T. Kirk

From a European perspective it feels as if every month we get a new coating or some other fancy products but no doubt there is many more products to come from the Pacific region

There are no standards that coating manufacturers have to comply with, so it's a free for all out there.

Its up to us the consumer to make sense of this mess, evaluate, and inform each other. The cream will eventually rise to the top, and the others will be forced to get better as a result.

Forums like this are increasingly becoming more important because this hobby/industry comes with a steep cost of admission.

Ceramic Pro 9h
Camui
Anti UV nano
OEM
ZXL-CSS Nano
0% IR Transmission Glass Coating
Matrix Micro Coating

C quartz finest,c quartz uk, c quartz, nanolex, modesta.r
A lot came from Asia because of the low air standards and fallout.

C quartz finest,c quartz uk, c quartz, nanolex, modesta.r
A lot came from Asia because of the low air standards and fallout.

I don't get your reasoning due to their low air standards? If that's the case are you implying they wouldn't be available to countries with higher air standards?

I think it is more about where the technology developed from and leading the technology and manufacturing know how.

There are plenty of coatings not yet listed, but it's a minefield of which are just relabeled stuff

There are no standards that coating manufacturers have to comply with, so it's a free for all out there.

Its up to us the consumer to make sense of this mess, evaluate, and inform each other. The cream will eventually rise to the top, and the others will be forced to get better as a result.

Forums like this are increasingly becoming more important because this hobby/industry comes with a steep cost of admission.

I agree, Some older products are hanging on, new ones have to stand the test of time.

I see coatings moving in different directions. Some claim forever, others claim better depth and look, hardness, etc. Pricing is all over the spectrum and some have different requirements for purchase. Every manufacture has the best, doubt me ask their distributor of the product and then product installers.

Technology continues to move forward and new products are coming to market faster than ever.

how many coatings available today?

ONE BILLION COATINGS

Dr-Evil.jpg

There is, again, the matter of marketing. Not everything that is sold as a coating is actually a coating.

CarPro CQuartz Finest
CarPro Hydro2
Gyeon's line (they have three traditional coatings, one spray similar to Reload, one spray similar to Hydr02, and one aerosol spray)

Back