Restoring License Plate Numbers/Letters?

140BPM

Reaction score
I have a black license plate with white lettering here in PA. I thought it was in decent condition until I purchased a new car - when they stuck the cheap dealership frame around it (with white lettering also) I quickly realized how weathered the lettering on my plate had become. The reflective white coating on the lettering has faded and has dulled and yellowed over the years.

Is there a product/method anyone can recommend to brighten up the lettering without ruining it?

I always use APC and toothbrush...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Clean it up with all purpose clean as best as you can then just apply a sealant on your plates

I've tried a few brands of APC with no luck. It's not that it's dirty... the reflective paint on the lettering has faded to a yellowish hue. Looking for something to "bleach" them back without removing the paint coating...

The way it is now it would be harder for the photo speed cameras to get a clear picture. Silver lining in every cloud.

If the weathered plates bother you, you could just pay the registry to issue you new plates.

I understand now only thing that comes to mines is use a little compound and polish by hand after lightly claying the surface

I can't get it reissued. Pennsylvania doesn't offer the black "DARE" plates anymore. This is the root cause of my frustration.. I just can't bring myself to put a blue/yellow/white plate on my new magnetic black 370Z! Been holding onto this plate for well over 10 years now :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

I can't get it reissued. Pennsylvania doesn't offer the black "DARE" plates anymore. This is the root cause of my frustration.. I just can't bring myself to put a blue/yellow/white plate on my new magnetic black 370Z! Been holding onto this plate for well over 10 years now :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

There are no other custom plates that are similar?

I kind of want the Georgia Aquarium one because of the penguin.

The other new plates here aren't bad either, I like the flat numbers instead of the raised ones.

PA doesn't issue any D.A.R.E. plates anymore even in blue yellow and white. I'm sure if you search online that someone makes a reflective spray paint that you could tape off the letters and brighten them up. I just got a new vanity plate just before the price went up to 76.00. I got mine for 20.00.

Just a heads-up;
Check your state laws first. Restoring or making any change to a license plate is illegal in almost every scenario.

If they need "restoration", you need to be replacing them instead. That is how the "law" wants it.

Bob

Back