How To Clean and Condition Factory Leather Seats

music_man185

Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 Jeep Commander with light grey leather seats. The seats aren't dirty or stained, but there is some slight drying and cracking beginning on the drivers seat. The manual says not to use any kind of cleaners or conditioners on the seats. Only a damp cloth. However, i want to keep them looking good and stop them from drying and cracking. I bought the Jeep used, so I don't know whether or not the seats of been redyed

I've looked at meguiars leather cleaner and conditioner, but have read where it stripped the dye from the seats on some people's leather. I've also read on other websites that people say not to ever use any kind of cleaner or conditioner. My main concern is stripping the dye or color from the seats.

Maybe some lexol, leather masters, or like products. They are specifically designed for leather interiors. I had a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee(Black Leather) and used Meguiars on it with no issues. Just be sure to not over use. I did sitch to lexol due to Meg's left the seats to greasy for me. Here is a great vid to show how to apply any cleaner/conditioners to leather from 8:50-15:55. It is by Mike on interior detailing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPF_dwthk2g

Most likely a coated vinyl and have never been protected for the first 7 years of its life. Try some 303 Aerospace or Blackfire Interior Protectant. These finish dry to the touch if you do a final dry buff and will provide a few months of UV protection.

I'd use either Chemical Guys Extreme Leather cleaner (dilute it six parts water to 1 of product (6:1)), or mother's leather cleaner.

Either product are good for your needs, since the CG have a very good cleansing power with little work (which may be good to avoid scrubbing already 'cracked' leather), and the mother's is 'creamy' enough to be gentle on damaged leather.

After the cleansing, I've tried recently the Mothers Leather Tech infusion gel.

Mothers Leather Cream Moisture-Rich Conditioner

I can't say about durability yet, since I've started applying it recently, but I may say I'm very impressed with results.

Application is the most clean it can get, very little product goes on sponge applicator, and you may 'spread' it over leather like spreading a coat of wax.

Work 'section by section', and remove excess immediately after applying. Results are immediate.

Leather feels really soft, great to the touch, and looks beautiful after application. It's not greasy, and not slippery. It haven't got the 'best smell from the can', but gives a very nice scent after applying to leather.

Also, one can will last many seats (or many applications) since a little goes a long way.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards.

Some manufactures will tell you don't clean your seat or whatever just so you can buy products from them but with that said those cracks"wisdom marks" is from everyday use as for seat material its most likely "clear coated" vinyl though it could be coated leather based upon the trim level you have I would either steam clean or use a apc with a brush to clean the material then either use leather master or either a water based vinyl dressing( to determine whether its leather or plastic use a drop of water if soak in its leather if it just sit there its vinyl also if you see color transfer then you have single stage coated leather if you don't see color transfer then you have clear coated leather )

Back