Tire cleaning woes...

mfrickman

Reaction score
I was detailing a work truck today for a customer and was cleaning the tires and found that no matter how many times I cleaned the tire, I couldn't break down the residue (mud) that was on the tires. I literally invested too much time trying to clean these then realized that I had some old Bleche-wite in my shed.

I sprayed each tire twice after having scrubbed those same tires with D103 and was still getting brown off of the tire.

I finally got some progress out of it but was still not satisfied with the outcome. Is there anything like tufshine that will actually produce the results I'm looking for? I can't spend an hour plus just cleaning the tires. Any tips would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

You don't really mean you couldn't get mud off the tires, do you? You mean they were brown and no matter how many times you scrubbed them they still came up brown, right?

There are some caustic tire cleaners (usually containing sodium hydroxide) that will work a little better...it's possible the Tuf Shine cleaner falls into this category. But a really old tire or one that has had a lot of oily dressings on it might have to be cleaned 10 or 12 times IME.

Not actual mud but I would call it staining from it. I've picked this client up from another local detailer so the tire dressing issue could be possible? I'm pretty sure the bleche-wite is caustic but unsure of how far up the pH scale it travels.

He seemed satisfied with what he had but you know how us detailers are..perfect in our eyes is 10x better than what the normal person thinks.

Why not just use TS Tire Cleaner?

If it's a cost issue, you can dilute the non concentrate version by 50% without loosing any real cleaning ability. So, a gallon is $20. Use it with a foaming sprayer and the TS tire brush and your golden.

I been using purple power 1:1 with a garden sprayer and it's been working great. Let it foam up, scrub, then rinse. It comes out the Garden sprayer nice and foamy but the only downside is that you have to continuously pump the sprayer. It's cheap and also works great on the Wells and engines.

I guess I can get some TS for the tough jobs but is it really that good? I enjoy the flexibility of the D103 because I use it on everything else exterior and it exceeds my expectations 95% of the time. Pretty solid considering it's cheap and dilutable.

TS blows D103 away at cleaning tires, or anything else for that matter.

Zep 505 will take care of it! Spray on, scrub with a stiff brush, rinse and repeat. Dirtiest tires have take 4 applications

Yeah I know it's discontinued. I've got a gallon and a half left. Guess I'll be picking up some TS.

Why not use D143 as it's a wheel and tire cleaner? Does a better job than D103.

I use the LA’s Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner, 20 oz. from Dollar Tree at full strength. Two applications and no more brown residue. Can beat it for a $1...

I use the LA’s Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner, 20 oz. from Dollar Tree at full strength. Two applications and no more brown residue. Can beat it for a $1...

You can also get 32 oz for $1 from the dollar tree without a sprayer. I am still pretty cheap and find that mixing it somewhere around 1:2, water:lata keeps it working just as well. However I just did that before when I didn't have enough to finish a tire without a little dilution.

Ever heard of tire blooming?

Automotive tires contain an ingredient called Antiozonant that protects tires from ozone in the air. Antiozonant extends the life of your tires by preventing premature cracking, oxidization and deterioration of the rubber. The tire is designed to constantly push Antiozonant to the surface replenishing itself throughout the lifetime of the tire. Often you will hear this process referred to as tire blooming.

When Antiozonant is exposed to the air it reacts with the ozone in the air and turns brown, which in turn make your tires look terrible. The good news is you can clean off the Antiozonant but since it’s constantly working itself to the surface you’ll need to clean your tire frequently.

Ever heard of tire blooming?

Automotive tires contain an ingredient called Antiozonant that protects tires from ozone in the air. Antiozonant extends the life of your tires by preventing premature cracking, oxidization and deterioration of the rubber. The tire is designed to constantly push Antiozonant to the surface replenishing itself throughout the lifetime of the tire. Often you will hear this process referred to as tire blooming.

When Antiozonant is exposed to the air it reacts with the ozone in the air and turns brown, which in turn make your tires look terrible. The good news is you can clean off the Antiozonant but since it’s constantly working itself to the surface you’ll need to clean your tire frequently.

Very informative, thanks! Just learnt a new term - tyre blooming

Back