PDA

View Full Version : Car show rant

Pages : [1] 2 3

Extreme Radiance
06-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Ok this will sound like sore looser but here it goez. I don't mind getting beat by a better car but I hate getting beat by a lesser car.
Took my C5 Corvette to a show. Cars were judged by the dealership sales staff. Shoulda been a red flag. My car has no swirls and is spotless with after market chrome added . I checked out the other C5's and found them to have swirls and water spots. The owners didnt even bother to wipe them down.
I work hard at keeping my car in pristine condition. Others dont give a crap and still win. WTH.
I am new to the car show circut and quickly learning only legit judged shows are worth the time and effort. I always win at legit judged shows where the judge uses a actual score sheet. But shows judged by non-car ppl with no scoring are a farce and undeserving of my hard work.
And another thing. Car shows ran by the local car club, judged by club members, result in club members winning. Everyone knows how those car shows end.
If anyone here runs a car show, make it legit , otherwise the show has no credibility.

David Hayward
06-15-2014, 08:48 AM
I've been through this many times. It's not worth getting bothered by. Unfortunately small little shows tend to have bad judging. Most of the time they don't have any set in stone system for scoring cars they just look and try to remember which car was their favorite.

silverfox
06-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Local car shows for the most part are sponsored by clubs or local organizations whose members vote for each other. If you're an outsider just go to enjoy the cars and don't expect anything more than that. Its what it is.

hogie
06-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Also a lot of shows don't bother with how spotless your car is. They art there to judge quality of work, modifications, and design.

On top of that most small show judges are inept. Don't worry about it.

hernandez.art13
06-15-2014, 11:36 AM
So let's see pictures of you car. Or even better both your car and the other car your talking about so we can judge :D

Klasse Act
06-15-2014, 11:50 AM
I've been through this many times. It's not worth getting bothered by. Unfortunately small little shows tend to have bad judging. Most of the time they don't have any set in stone system for scoring cars they just look and try to remember which car was their favorite.

100% agree, been there, done that! Honestly, what are you going to do with that trophy anyways?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Klasse Act
06-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Ok this will sound like sore looser but here it goez. I don't mind getting beat by a better car but I hate getting beat by a lesser car.
Took my C5 Corvette to a show. Cars were judged by the dealership sales staff. Shoulda been a red flag. My car has no swirls and is spotless with after market chrome added . I checked out the other C5's and found them to have swirls and water spots. The owners didnt even bother to wipe them down.
I work hard at keeping my car in pristine condition. Others dont give a crap and still win. WTH.
I am new to the car show circut and quickly learning only legit judged shows are worth the time and effort. I always win at legit judged shows where the judge uses a actual score sheet. But shows judged by non-car ppl with no scoring are a farce and undeserving of my hard work.
And another thing. Car shows ran by the local car club, judged by club members, result in club members winning. Everyone knows how those car shows end.
If anyone here runs a car show, make it legit , otherwise the show has no credibility.

Being a Corvette owner and going to shows you see both swirled out cars and horrific mods done to Corvettes, so you shouldn't be surprised. It may be hard but just grin and bare it and put it in your back pocket because sometimes you have to take the high road and stay off the low road, sorry for all the puns or cliches but they really, truely apply here! Just be the untypical Corvette owner, cream rises to the top, never forget that!

Extreme Radiance
06-15-2014, 01:22 PM
I thank u all for listening to me vent my frustration. I also appreciate your advice. We who know a swirl from a squirrel are the cream of the crop. I am glad to know iam in good company on this board.
Stay shiny my friends. V

Justin at Final Inspection
06-15-2014, 02:03 PM
You should of seen the super Chevy show this year in palm beach. The 5th gen camaro classes were so disorganized that a brand new bone stock 2014 1LE Camaro won the modified class! And a my buddies modified camaro with custom air brushing lambo doors etc won the street class which it wasn't even in. Just cause it seems legit it doesn't mean it is.

Klasse Act
06-15-2014, 02:14 PM
"Lambo doors"....so lame that Lambos don't have them anymore, LOL!

Coopers ST
06-15-2014, 02:41 PM
You got beat in a popularity contest, don't beat yourself up over it.

dcjredline
06-15-2014, 02:58 PM
I too have given up trying to win or place at a show that is judged by "normal" people. Even if they are car guys.

Coopers ST
06-15-2014, 03:53 PM
I too have given up trying to win or place at a show that is judged by "normal" people. Even if they are car guys.

Yep, they are voting for their favorite kind of car, or friend, not the best looking car. In a local show and shine can't say I would be different. An Austin-Healey or Miata would get my vote over most muscle cars just because I like them more.

6supersport7
06-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I go to a lot of shows with my chevelle. I go for the fun, talk with friends and to hang out. If I win something, that's a plus. I could care less about trophy's. Have a hundred or so that takes up valuable room in my garage. Judging is not as easy as it looks. Say there's just a corvette class or something. Perfect c5 against a a 67 swirled out vette. Sorry, 67 wins for me every time.

Klasse Act
06-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I go to a lot of shows with my chevelle. I go for the fun, talk with friends and to hang out. If I win something, that's a plus. I could care less about trophy's. Have a hundred or so that takes up valuable room in my garage. Judging is not as easy as it looks. Say there's just a corvette class or something. Perfect c5 against a a 67 swirled out vette. Sorry, 67 wins for me every time.

I agree with the last statement but it would really bother me to see a 67' in such bad shape. I have a short bucket list but one thing on there is to drive a mid-year coupe w/ a 4 spd, preferrably a 67' but it doesn't really matter as for me, it doesn't get any better. Yeah I've heard they don't drive and handle that geat but that's not the thing for me. My late Dad moved from a small town in WV to Detroit in 1965 and began working at GM a year later and bought a brand new black on black 66' Sting Ray, 327/350 hp, 4 spd and 3.36 gear, added ET Torque Thrusts and removed the front bumper. Sadly the car was hit badly the winter of 68' while my Dad was inside his work buying some Christmas gifts and it wasn't the same afterwards so he sold it, bought a new 68' Camaro w/ a 327 and a Powerglide of all things, horrible and then I showed up 2 yrs later and the rest was history, LOL. I grew up loving mid-year coupes but my Dad starting liking 62's while I always had an eye for the mid-years still.

See how I got side tracked here, its in my veins, just never get bored standing behind a mid-year coupe, its just the most beautiful thing in the world!!!