PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct process when washing a brand new car for the first time?

AliMusa
06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
The dealer has unfortunately washed the car, due to the car arriving much earlier than I expected, so in a few days I'm going to give the car its first proper detailing. I haven't inspected the paint but I'm sure they have marred it through improper technique, so what are the correct steps to take?

Also, I plan on doing a full detail, including polishing and waxing, so what polishes, compounds, waxes, etc. should be used and what pads? I have orange, blue and white pads and I have M105 and M205 but I'm worried those are too strong for a brand new car.

Any input will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Paul A.
06-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Well the key to this is "i haven't inspected the paint" and i would wait for that. As a minimum i would suggest you wash it, Iron X it and clay or nanoskin the paint.

What kind of car?

AliMusa
06-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Well the key to this is "i haven't inspected the paint" and i would wait for that. As a minimum i would suggest you wash it, Iron X it and clay or nanoskin the paint.

What kind of car?

2015 Subaru WRX. I ran outside after the post and quickly ran a light on the paint and there are very faint swirls. Not as bad as I was thinking there would be, but there are swirl marks regardless.

Hazcat
06-27-2014, 09:13 AM

After the above it's time to do some test spots to see what's going to work to get the paint to your satisfaction. This is the best time to get some UV protectant on your plastics. On ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure to keep it looking nice for the life of your car.

AliMusa
06-27-2014, 09:19 AM
After the above it's time to do some test spots to see what's going to work to get the paint to your satisfaction. This is the best time to get some UV protectant on your plastics. On ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure to keep it looking nice for the life of your car.

Will m105 or m205 be too strong to start off with on a new car?

refreshauto
06-27-2014, 09:24 AM
you always want to start with the least aggressive approach and work your way up from there. start off with the m205 and try different pad combos, if that doesnt work then step up to the m105 and again try different combos until you reach the results you are looking for. you will want to try as many test spots as it take to get the results you are after