PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing Compound Question?

RPM06
06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
I recently purchased a PC and XMT products and tried to remove some heavy swirls and minor oxidation that has occured on my Chevy pickup. I didn't get the results I was looking for and probably need to wet sand the entire truck.

My question is since I'm still fairly new to detailing and am scared to wet sand--can I achieve really good results by using a rubbing compound like Poor Boy's SSR3 or Optimum Compound and eliminating the wet sanding step all together? If so, what would be my next steps after the compound?
Thanks!

ScottB
06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Wet sanding --- best left to a professional.

Please remember that the PC is a very safe product, but as such is going to be much harder to use on heavy swirls. You will need to dedicate alot of time, speed, and effort into the truck. Its not a bad thing, but I suspect you are giving up to soon.

Each panel should receive no less than 5 minutes of attention, with the PC on full tilt. XMT 3 with an orange pad is mighty abrasive. If it dries quickly, then dampen the pad. You dont want the polish to cure prior to you finishing up. Wipe panel with alcohol/water and see what it looks like. Move to the next lightest polish 2 and white pad ... same regimine. Next XMT 1 and grey finishing pad. You will likely see the results looking for but you will need several hours. Otherwise consider a rotary polisher and tread lightly.