Should I be happy or afraid????

808_detail_nut

Reaction score
So today I went to mercedes dealership with the wife to look at trading in her C class to get a larger car for my daughter and maybe our next child. When I get in there I see that the sales person is my buddy from childhood and so we get to talking. As we are looking at the cars I ask him about who details their cars? He tells me that they just run it trough the machine car wash next door and do a quick wax. Figures right, so I tell him I just started up my own and been doing it for a while but only for family and friends. He then tells me that they send out their used cars to a couple detailers when they get done doing their inspections and they just do a glorified wash and wax to make the cars presentable.
Then as we are about to leave he says, "hey, you got a card? I always get the high end guys come in and ask who they should go to for detailing. I always send them to anyone in the book or that is close but I can hook you up and get them to you." I give him my card and tell him to give me a little bit to get all my things lined up like insurance and what not before he starts recommending. As im leaving I think to myself, Dam, I NEED TO UPGRADE SOME OF MY PRODUCTS! That is why I am afraid but hey, you need to spend money to make money and Im sure I could get some nice paydays if I get some high end clients. Any suggestions on what I should pick up? I got a large variety of things but what should I have that are a must for high end details? Anyone you use and you like?

I NEED TO UPGRADE SOME OF MY PRODUCTS!

I don't know what you have, and I am not in the business, but why do you need to upgrade your products? I mean, as long as you are getting the results, does it matter what the brand is? In my mind the only upgrades that would justify moving to a different product is because it works faster, or is less expensive to buy.

While this could be a GREAT opportunity, don't get too excited over this. You may get 1-2 customers per year. Unless you stumble upon a customer who really really wants his/hers car clean.

I just received a call from someone i gave a business card one year ago.

Don't worry about the products. There are lots of roads that lead to Rome. Worry about your ability. You need to knock it out of the park with every job once they come. Perfect your skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get what you can get. That simple. But for dealer work I always start with the used car sales manager. But a mercedes dealer would be a great place to get paint correction work, if interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Yea I get good results and have enough to get me going. I have the equipment (3401, 3403, and a cyclo) and a variety of mez, megs, optimum, poorboys just to name a few. Wondered if I should get more specialized products.

I don't know what you have, and I am not in the business, but why do you need to upgrade your products? I mean, as long as you are getting the results, does it matter what the brand is? In my mind the only upgrades that would justify moving to a different product is because it works faster, or is less expensive to buy.

This...

Absolutely no more products needed. You have more than enough chemicals. But tell us about how much experience you have working on high end vehicles. Especially for dealers. Tools and experience is what it takes. Buy good products, let the tool do the work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Right on guys. Thanks. I will be buying a rupes 3 inch to help with the tough spots. I usually use the 3403 with the 4 inch cyclo pads. I think that will help.

I have worked on mercedes in the past including my wife's car but never $200k plus cars. I'm confident in my abilities but I know you always can get better. I guess I'm happy that I may get more cars but as of eight now I'm pretty booked up for a few weeks. This is just a side business because I am a fireman for my primary income.

Don't worry about the products. There are lots of roads that lead to Rome. Worry about your ability. You need to knock it out of the park with every job once they come. Perfect your skills.

:iagree:

I can not stress the importance of customer satisfaction more than this....

I agree with the others, I would not add anything in anticipation of this work, because it could be money thrown down the drain or a little less harsh, money that is hard to recoup in the short term. I would wait until you get that call, talk to the customer, find out what they anticipate and then think about what you have and if you feel you can get the results they need. If not, a quick phone call to AG and you can get the products they need. This could also tie into the time you schedule the appointment, allowing you time to get the product right before you use it.

HUMP

Back