PDA

View Full Version : Suntan lotion handprints

Rhuarc3
08-04-2014, 10:58 PM
My son smeared some water resistant suntan lotion (spf50 in case you were curious) all over my front bumper and some on the door. I didn't notice until I got home several hours later.

I've tried everything I can think of. Gave the truck a nice wash with pressure washer and tried tar and bug remover. Still residual lotion on the truck. At the right angle I can make out where he put his lotion covered hands on the truck.

Short of breaking out the polisher, what the heck will take it off?

Thanks.

- Todd

brondondolon
08-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Maybe give spotless a try for this or some apc or IPA

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

EliteDetailing
08-05-2014, 12:34 AM
I would try some degreaser, diluted... that may work

Andr3wilson
08-05-2014, 12:43 AM
I'm guessing it is painted?

I would try some Mineral Spiritz on a towel and wipe it off. That will break down the oils.

If it still being stubborn, some compound/polish on a towel or pad will remove it instantly.

Rhuarc3
08-06-2014, 11:58 AM
thanks guys. degreaser didn't work but i found some paint prep spray that is supposed to remove everything. it seems to have worked.

conman1395
08-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean he smeared it all over the front bumper and door? Like just hand prints?
Also, I would think if it was on there for a few hours and you can only see it at the "right" angle, then that's something done to the paint and requires compound/polish or a really good paint cleaner.

Rhuarc3
08-07-2014, 05:03 AM
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean he smeared it all over the front bumper and door? Like just hand prints?
Also, I would think if it was on there for a few hours and you can only see it at the "right" angle, then that's something done to the paint and requires compound/polish or a really good paint cleaner.

yes, it was on his hands from rubbing it into his skin and he decided it would be a good idea to rub it all over the bumper and basically touch the truck all over. so there were handprints and some rubbed onto truck. when i got home i wiped it off with a microfiber rag and some quick detailer. i thought it came off. but when i washed the truck the following day the prints and stuff were still there and when the sun hit it just right you could see the actual prints.

i used a strong paint prep spray (for removing oils, waxes and other stuff prior to painting) to take it off and that seemed to work but i have no idea how the paint is now.

Dannyk
08-07-2014, 05:49 AM
I have used Plastic Deep Cleaner on interiors with satisfactory results, the concern is if the surface is stained from being baked on from the sun.