Leaders in coatings nowadays?

Jomax

Reaction score
Been super busy and haven't been on the forum for awhile.. I'm sure I missed new products that came out.. I have a truck that does 80k miles a year towing. I'd like a coating that will last longer than a sealant, and also a coating that will allow the dreaded bugs to come off easier... is opti coat still the the top dog in terms of abuse? Truck is white, it's a work truck, not going for best gloss, I'm going for the most protection short of armor. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using AG Online

22PLE. I have been converted!

imagejpg1_zps99968b07.jpg

Z06_zpsebd8d75e.jpg

22ple is nice but won't last as long as Opti-Coat. There are new products coming out almost daily. Some of these have a very high hardness factors attached such as Ceramic Pro but they need touched up every year. I wonder what Opti-Coat would do if touched up every year?

There are sealants lasting a year or more, so the longevity claims are a moot point in my opinion, especially when you factor in maintenance polishing if required.

For me coatings are king in so far as repelling dirt and sheeting capability...and making routine maintenance an absolute breeze.

22ple is nice but won't last as long as Opti-Coat. There are new products coming out almost daily. Some of these have a very high hardness factors attached such as Ceramic Pro but they need touched up every year. I wonder what Opti-Coat would do if touched up every year?

i don't think that comes up very often in actual practice because Opti-Coat is rated as being permanent. there have been a lot of suppositions about what would happen that far down the line when it's fully cured...that you'd have to finish polish to finely abrade the surface to give the surface something to offer in terms of surface area, so the new coating could "bite"...but i don't know the truth and how you'd even know for sure since the coating underneath, if it was installed properly, would still be there no matter what, doing its thing.

so, i think it's one of those things that is just best left alone because you'd likely gain nothing and waste time and money. it's permanent and if you do a nice finish or aio polish to it when it needs it, you'll be fine. unless you have to remove and reapply due to scratches, i think hitting it once a year with a DA and some Poli-Seal works wonders for Opti-Coat but that's me.

i don't think that comes up very often in actual practice because Opti-Coat is rated as being permanent. there have been a lot of suppositions about what would happen that far down the line when it's fully cured...that you'd have to finish polish to finely abrade the surface to give the surface something to offer in terms of surface area, so the new coating could "bite"...but i don't know the truth and how you'd even know for sure since the coating underneath, if it was installed properly, would still be there no matter what, doing its thing.

so, i think it's one of those things that is just best left alone because you'd likely gain nothing and waste time and money. it's permanent and if you do a nice finish or aio polish to it when it needs it, you'll be fine. unless you have to remove and reapply due to scratches, i think hitting it once a year with a DA and some Poli-Seal works wonders for Opti-Coat but that's me.

So I can use poli seal biannual and it won't remove the opti coat? By the looks of long term. Opticoat is still at the top.

Sent from my SM-P605V using AG Online

There are sealants lasting a year or more, so the longevity claims are a moot point in my opinion, especially when you factor in maintenance polishing if required.

For me coatings are king in so far as repelling dirt and sheeting capability...and making routine maintenance an absolute breeze.

That's what I want. Ease of maintenance and clean up.

So I can use poli seal biannual and it won't remove the opti coat? By the looks of long term. Opticoat is still at the top.

Whilst it is permanent, it is not indestructible. If you do enough work on it, with an abrasive, it will come off.

As for leaders, dare I suggest that the actual leaders are names which are not known to this community...

Mine have been on for Opti Coat Pro for near to 5 years... I will upload the photo of the condition soon.

100% correct.

Poli-Seal doesn't have any components in it that will really hurt a properly cured application of Opti-Coat. If you did that with a more abrasive polish or the wrong pad...yes, but Poli-Seal is almost like a finish polish in a way, in terms of abrasive affect. maybe Chris or Dr. G can go into more detail but my experience is that it simply cleans and refines a coated surface perfectly.

i prefer Poli-Seal for a few things but the main at this stage is coating maintenance (on both glass and paint).

Using an AIO over and over will eventually compromise the coating.

Plenty of options for coatings these days and it's only going to get worse as more and more come out. With regular and proper care I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

I hope they come out with a coating in the future that you spray on using a foam cannon and there is no need to wipe off. lol wouldnt that be nice hahaha.

Using an AIO over and over will eventually compromise the coating.

I'm sure, but then again, being OC is thicker than cc. It should take awhile.

I hope they come out with a coating in the future that you spray on using a foam cannon and there is no need to wipe off. lol wouldnt that be nice hahaha.

That would be too easy though!

I'm sure, but then again, being OC is thicker than cc. It should take awhile.

Wait, opti-coat is thicker than clear coat paint? Thats news to me!

thats bs not news to you lol opticoat is super super thin, you wouldnt even probably be able to get a reading of paint thickness to register a coating

thats bs not news to you lol opticoat is super super thin, you wouldnt even probably be able to get a reading of paint thickness to register a coating

•Optimum spokespersons have stated their Coatings' are ~2 microns "thick".

•That is equal to 0.0787401575 mils...which is equal to
0.0000787401575 inches.

•Now as difficult as paint Coatings' "thicknesses" are to see/measure...
-Try to visualize/(even measure) this:
They're ~100 times "thicker"...than a film-layer of a Wax or a Sealant!!

Bob

Sorry, I made a mistake on mils vs micron lol, being cc is 2mils, and OC is 2micron. My mistake!

Back