PDA

View Full Version : help with removing swirls

natesmobiledetailing
08-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Hey everyone I'm a bit confused as to how I am getting nowhere with trying to remove my swirl marks from my daily driver. I do mobile detailing part time, but my market is mostly interiors with a few customers getting a wash and wax. I have experience using my porter cable with aio products and have removed some minor scratches for customers before.

I used a CCS 6.5 inch yellow pad with m105. Doing a 2ftX2ft section with around six passes at setting 6 with moderate pressure I received no correction. I actually worked my way up using a lighter polish and an orange pad but got the same results which is why I tried the yellow to no avail. It was my understanding that this is a pretty aggressive combination so what should I change? What am I doing wrong?

This was all after a proper prep as well. Wash, dry, clay..

conman1395
08-08-2014, 05:50 PM
6.5 is pretty big for the Porter Cable

natesmobiledetailing
08-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Agreed it's on the bigger side but I marked the backing plate and it still rotates with the added pressure. So I tried my 3 inch griot pad on the pc and still no luck.

Setec Astronomy
08-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Pictures? What make/model/year/color? Are these just normal wash swirls?

dlc95
08-09-2014, 07:51 AM
How fast are you moving the machine?

HD.Detailing
08-09-2014, 08:24 AM
move slow, overlapping patterns and for 105 i wouldn't do a 2'x2' section section.. too big...

5.5" pad on speed 6 with proper technique will yield excellent results.

natesmobiledetailing
08-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Think I got it figured out, a little too big of a section and not enough product. I happened to have an orbital polisher that will use the same pads so I gave it a try. I am used to using a lot less product with my aio polish. Made a few tweeks and finally getting these swirls gone.

And no these are not all just normal wash swirls I believe the previous owner was a fan of waxing with a polisher because there is residue everywhere and they appear to be holograms in a few spots on the hood.

Thank you for some direction and help, which is why I love this forum.