brake dust still on

97Avenger

Reaction score
I just washed my wife's car a little bit ago. I just got my dp gel wheel cleaner today and decided to use it. So I went to the carwash and did each wheel with dp and a wheel brush. The stuff works great but it didn't take all the brake dust off. I did the wheel twice and still nothing. Am I I going to have to use wheel polish to take the rest of it off?

Probably, alot of times there is brake dust that is so caked on that you need to use a chemical polish. what type of wheels are they?

Try it again but this time spray it on a little thicker, agitate with your wheel brush, spread the paste evenly, and then let linger for 15 minutes. Then agitate more with a wet brush and rinse.
If it's really baked on there are other products that we can try. Let us know how this does first.

I used Crystal Image All Surface Cleaner on these wheels. The before picture is after DP Gel, P21S, clay, PB Bug Squash, and car soap. I used the Crystal Image with the mothers power ball. Unfortunately, I cant find the stuff anymore, so Im looking for something else. So if anyone knows of something else similar, then please let me know! Cleaner, not a polish, can be used on all metals, clear or not clear coated.

IMG_2576.jpg

Right after Crystal Image. Applied DP Wheel Glaze later on.
IMG_2577.jpg

Well I just got done from trying to remove the caked on brake dust and it worked. I sprayed the dp gel on the rims, scrubbed them with a brush, let sit for a few then resprayed them and they came cleaned. Looks as good as when we first bought the car. Thanks everybody!

keep a bottle of Poorboys Spray/Rinse around, only needed once monthly. Follow directions exactly and no agitation is needed.

i ordered poorboys spray and rinse. i worked at it for over 2 hours. Half came off, now i have to order another bottle. i have which appears some scratch marks from using a tooth brush . Ive tried other products and this seems to work but this will take me about another 3 hours to accomplish. It left a little white hazing marks from the brush on volvo oem wheels. its hard to see it so im wondering if i should just paint them with duplicolor or should try using a dremel with soft tip to get rid of the baked on dust and the marks left. what do you think?

If Poorboys Spray/Rinse did not work, thats some serious brake dust and likely built up over alot of time and heat cycles. Have you tried Klasse AIO or other cleaner product ?? Almost need to saturate it, sit, and then aggitate, and remove.

Well I just got done from trying to remove the caked on brake dust and it worked. I sprayed the dp gel on the rims, scrubbed them with a brush, let sit for a few then resprayed them and they came cleaned. Looks as good as when we first bought the car. Thanks everybody!
Now that you got them cleaned, put a coat of Duragloss 501 to seal the rims. Will make your next wheel cleaning a breeze.

i bought them from someone and i knew it was there and thought i can get it off. lol i had saturated it so much i used the whole bottle. i just ordered another bottle. it works , just need another bottle. yea when i say hard and baked that is how it is and is such a pain because they are like 15/ or 20 slots around the edge . im a woman and have mechanic hands lol.

Back