PDA

View Full Version : Foam gun not foaming anymore

Pages : [1] 2 3

NikonGuy
08-25-2014, 09:48 AM
I bought this Gilmour foam gun last year on Amazon
Amazon.com : Gilmour 75QGFMR Foamaster Adjustable Multi Ratio Cleaning Gun : Watering Nozzles : Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XTH1GY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It worked great before last night. It was foaming and had no issues. Last night only water was coming out. It wasn't getting mixed with any soap at all. BTW I'm using Chemical Guys Honeydew soap.

I took it apart as much as I could (nozzle, head, feed straw) and no blockage of any kind. It isn't user error as I have been using it problem free from beginning.

I even adjusted the foam output lever and nothing.

Any thoughts? Do they sometimes just crap out? What is the mechanism on how the soap gets mixed. It looks pretty simple. My water pressure has not changed either. Thanks

Niblick
08-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Had one of these myself a few years ago. theres i tiny little metal filter in there somewhere that can get blocked up with soap residue. if you can find it and clean it, it may well solve the problem.

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Did you lose one of the little brass screw-in plugs? There is one on the top and one on the end of the mixture lever.

NikonGuy
08-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Had one of these myself a few years ago. theres i tiny little metal filter in there somewhere that can get blocked up with soap residue. if you can find it and clean it, it may well solve the problem.

Read some comments on Amazon, will dry to soak unit in vinegar and see if that removes some residue. I didn't see any from visually inspecting it but there probably is something there

Did you lose one of the little brass screw-in plugs? There is one on the top and one on the end of the mixture lever.

I don't think so. From memory I don't think there was ever a top screw or the mixture lever

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't think so. From memory I don't think there was ever a top screw or the mixture lever

I'm sorry, but there is a little brass plug with a knurled head, one in the end of the mixture bar (only function is to keep the bar from being accidentally pushed out) and one in the top center. If you lose the top center one, or if it gets loose, it allows air to be sucked in instead of picking up the liquid from the cup, resulting in loss of foaming.

allenk4
08-25-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm sorry, but there is a little brass plug with a knurled head, one in the end of the mixture bar (only function is to keep the bar from being accidentally pushed out) and one in the top center. If you lose the top center one, or if it gets loose, it allows air to be sucked in instead of picking up the liquid from the cup, resulting in loss of foaming.

Pretty sure there are two versions one does not have the screw

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Pretty sure there are two versions one does not have the screw

Do you follow me around just to argue with me? The ones without the plugs are the Foamaster II that's plastic, the brass ones have plugs in the locations I stated.

You can see them in this picture, there is one on the left, in the end of the adjustment bar, and one that you are looking straight down on, surrounded by the P/N of the gun stamped into the brass that the OP says he has.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1007/medium/Setting.jpg

NikonGuy
08-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Mine has never had those plugs

allenk4
08-25-2014, 11:30 AM
So what I said is true....there are two versions

Why do you think I am arguing with you?

Pull those wadded panties out

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Mine has never had those plugs

Another picture of them, if you lose the one on the top (or if it becomes loose) the gun will not work. I suppose it is possible that Gilmour put something permanent in there instead of the screw-in plug, but the link you posted from Amazon shows some knurl in that spot. They have to drill the hole through the brass, so there will be hole there.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=78372

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 11:39 AM
So what I said is true....there are two versions

Based on what? The fact that the OP never noticed them? Do you have a Gilmour foam gun?

allenk4
08-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Based on what? The fact that the OP never noticed them? Do you have a Gilmour foam gun?

Based on the fact that I indicated there were two version, which there are

I do own a Gilmour, it has the brass screw

I am aware of a 2nd version that does not have a brass screw

NikonGuy
08-25-2014, 12:00 PM
I'll have to check when I get home tonight. I never noticed the top plug before but I could be wrong. Honestly it just worked before so never paid much attention.

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 12:03 PM
I am aware of a 2nd version that does not have a brass screw

Could you provide the model # of that version? As I have already stated, the plastic gun does not have the plugs because it is made differently. What relevance that has I don't know, because the OP has stated what model he has, and that model, which is the one they sell here at Autogeek, has the plugs, as shown in my second picture, which is from a recent thread of Nick's.

NikonGuy
08-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Lets calm down. I will check tonight and update. Please stay civil. Thanks