PDA

View Full Version : 1 unique car, 3 challenges - seeking advice

TLM
08-30-2014, 01:03 AM
Hi all -

Just got a nice new (to me) car and I am afraid to screw it up. I have been researching for over a week now, and fortunately I finally found this forum.

Here are the Challenges -
1. Matte Vinyl Wrap - I would really like to find a product that will protect it from UV and also create a barrier against tree sap and bird poo. Or at least slick it up so I can wipe them off easily. I was leaning toward CG Meticulous Matte, but read some bad reviews on Amazon. Meguiar's says to use their Quick Wax, but 3M says not to use any wax products. Really confused here, and would love to hear from someone who has a tried and true solution.

2. Piano Black Interior - I already screwed this up a bit and put some scratches in it with a paper towel while wiping off dust. Am about to order Meguiar's 205 Mirror Gaze Polish, but would defer to anyone who has dealt with Piano Black before. Also, how can I protect it better in the future? I imagine paper towels is not the way to go.

3. Velvet Black Vinyl Roof Wrap- I have called pretty much everyone in the Bay Area, but most have no idea what I am talking about. 503 Motoring who put it on, let me know how to clean it and warned not to use chemicals and wax. They are really great, but what I would now like to know is how to protect it from tree sap. Bonus points for this one!

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

Mark in SF

jamesboyy
08-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Hi all -

Just got a nice new (to me) car and I am afraid to screw it up. I have been researching for over a week now, and fortunately I finally found this forum.

Here are the Challenges -
1. Matte Vinyl Wrap - I would really like to find a product that will protect it from UV and also create a barrier against tree sap and bird poo. Or at least slick it up so I can wipe them off easily. I was leaning toward CG Meticulous Matte, but read some bad reviews on Amazon. Meguiar's says to use their Quick Wax, but 3M says not to use any wax products. Really confused here, and would love to hear from someone who has a tried and true solution.

2. Piano Black Interior - I already screwed this up a bit and put some scratches in it with a paper towel while wiping off dust. Am about to order Meguiar's 205 Mirror Gaze Polish, but would defer to anyone who has dealt with Piano Black before. Also, how can I protect it better in the future? I imagine paper towels is not the way to go.

3. Velvet Black Vinyl Roof Wrap- I have called pretty much everyone in the Bay Area, but most have no idea what I am talking about. 503 Motoring who put it on, let me know how to clean it and warned not to use chemicals and wax. They are really great, but what I would now like to know is how to protect it from tree sap. Bonus points for this one!

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

Mark in SF

Welcome to autogeek...first off invest into some microfiber towels. as for your matte section of your vehicle use a matte quick detailer like Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer & Spray Sealant it's best of two worlds, and don't have to pay the high price of the dedicated matte sealant also you can use that product for the vinyl areas too as for your black paint you could just OTC and buy meguiars ultimate compound, and polish to experiment(its same as m105/m205) with until you have enough practice, and move onto bigger products

Audios S6
08-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Dr. Beasley, swissvax, chemical guys and a few others make matte specific products.

TLM
08-31-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys, I will go ahead with the CG Meiticulous Matte Detailer.

I experimented a bit with the Velvet wrap, and Meguair's Quick Detailer works well for a fast clean-up. No splotches.

Thanks for the advice on the Piano Black. It didn't occur to me at first, but I think I will practice on our actual piano which has plenty of scratches already.

Appreciate the help!

allenk4
08-31-2014, 11:26 PM
Practicing on your piano is a waste of time. It has different paint than your car

Do a Test Spot, using least aggressive method 1st

jamesboyy
08-31-2014, 11:49 PM
Practicing on your piano is a waste of time. It has different paint than your car

Do a Test Spot, using least aggressive method 1st

True, if you want practice get a car hood, door of some sort from a junk yard to practice on