Compound drying too fast on DA

dooger54

Reaction score
I have used my Porter Cable DA for about 3 years now and am experiencing problems with the compound drying out too fast.

I use the Lake Country orange pad with Meguiars 105 compound. After about 2-3 passes the compound seems to be drying and then when I stop to clean with my microfiber it is almost impossible to get the compound off. I usually have to wet it down to get it back off.

What am I doing wrong ? I am only doing about a 2' square area at a time.

Doug

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

M105 runs pretty dry to begin with. If I have difficulty removing it it's usually becuase I didn't work it long enough.

I've found myself using Menzerna FG400 and Meguiar's D300 a lot more recently.

Like stated you haven't worked it long enough, try adding a few sprays of quick detailer to wake up dryed/half dead product once you gotten the feel for compounds/polishes look into adding menzerna fg400 and sf4500/4000 to your collection

I noticed this a bit with UC, and thats one reason I prefer Uber. Longer work time and it wipes off much easier.

Another approach is to use some Johnson's Baby Oil. It won't evaporate as fast as QD or water.

Good to know I'm not the only one having issues with it being to dry. I'll give Menzerna a try, but I just bought a gallon of M105.

Mwoolfso-

Exactly how do you add baby oil? Diluted with water?

Like stated you haven't worked it long enough, try adding a few sprays of quick detailer to wake up dryed/half dead product once you gotten the feel for compounds/polishes look into adding menzerna fg400 and sf4500/4000 to your collection

:iagree:Once you go Menzerna FG400/SF4000 or SF4500 you will never get any other polish. Give the Gallon of Megs to a good friend!!....LOL

Ok. So ordered the fg400 today. How many passes are normally done with this? My M105 was drying out after 2-3 passes.

I find I have to use LOTS of detail spray to keep it from drying out too fast. Nowadays I only use 105 as a last resort because of dust and it sucking to remove.

Back