2011 M3 convertible

tenblade2001

Reaction score
first multistep detail..I'm a newbie. I didn't correct paint b/c I didn't see any swirls or marring.
Wash- Citrus Wash and Glo (concentrated), Clayed (yellow), wash with glossworkz (body), Diablo (wheels) and diablo/p21 with 0000 SW on exhaust
-Deep Reflections XP for glaze (7424 with blue pad), M-seal (hand and 7424 with red pad), and V07 (body)
-Clayed and sealed the headlights.
-Weelguard for wheels and metal shine for exhasut, both sealed with M-seal
- VRP and black on Black for trim and tires, Barebones for wheelwells/undercarriage.
-Ecosmart for inside doors
-Interior: Innerclean, G6 and vintage series leather cleaner/conditioner
driverside2.JPG

pass_side.JPG

rear5.JPG

EB_before.jpg

EB_after2.jpg

side_after1.jpg

pass_side.JPG

My assistant
rhoades_helping_me.jpg

I posted this in another subforum and didn't get a response so, I'll ask here:
(1) anyone else with a white care find it difficult to get the same wet/mirror finish that you can get with other colors?
(2) am I using the wrong settings b/c it seems that I get a better illustration of the shine when its a little overcast i.e. pic of my son helping me (that was the day before the sunny pics)
(3) I've been reading about paint cleansing for white cars i.e. p21s or CG final polish...how does that fit in the CG V36/36 i.e. would you wash->clay->wash->cleanse ->V36/36->glaze->seal-> wax? if I cleanse, do I need to do ISP?
any suggestions would be appreciated

if you really want your car to pop, need to get away from CG. go with Carpro, Wolfgang or Menzerna. you will be happy you did

first multistep detail..I'm a newbie. I didn't correct paint b/c I didn't see any swirls or marring.

Nice work! Your M3 looks great!

With white paint it is harder to see the defects.

I posted this in another subforum and didn't get a response so, I'll ask here:
(1) anyone else with a white care find it difficult to get the same wet/mirror finish that you can get with other colors?
(2) am I using the wrong settings b/c it seems that I get a better illustration of the shine when its a little overcast i.e. pic of my son helping me (that was the day before the sunny pics)
(3) I've been reading about paint cleansing for white cars i.e. p21s or CG final polish...how does that fit in the CG V36/36 i.e. would you wash->clay->wash->cleanse ->V36/36->glaze->seal-> wax? if I cleanse, do I need to do ISP?
any suggestions would be appreciated

1. Sometimes it can be harder to get white to pop like darker colors. The biggest way to get that crystal clear pop is first polishing the paint.
2. Are you talking about your camera?
3. As mentioned, polishing the paint is what gives that polished look.

German vehicles respond very well to Menzerna/Wolfgang products IMO. Do your self a favor and get away from the CG polishes. ie, V34, V36, V38 and so on.

This will get you off on the right foot guarnnteed. Take the time to read through this article. Plenty of valueable information shared.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74198-wolfgang-four.html

Looks great! I love white cars.

If you want to cleanse the paint as you say, but don't see a need to polish because you don't see any swirls or marring,and you want to stick with the chemical guys line, the v38 has minimal cut but will deep cleanse the paint. Use white or black pads.

Wash, clay, v38, LSP. No need to wash again after clay.

To really make a white car look like its wrapped in a hard candy shell, I've found nothing works like a paint coating. You can't expect to get the deep dark wet look like you can with a black car, but you also don't have to worry about seeing every little scratch and swirl in white.

Zach wrote some really good articles about photography, you should be able to find a lot of those answer in the articles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice work! Your M3 looks great!

With white paint it is harder to see the defects.

1. Sometimes it can be harder to get white to pop like darker colors. The biggest way to get that crystal clear pop is first polishing the paint.
2. Are you talking about your camera?
3. As mentioned, polishing the paint is what gives that polished look.

German vehicles respond very well to Menzerna/Wolfgang products IMO. Do your self a favor and get away from the CG polishes. ie, V34, V36, V38 and so on.

This will get you off on the right foot guarnnteed. Take the time to read through this article. Plenty of valueable information shared.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74198-wolfgang-four.html

Thank you very much! I'm not married to the CG product line. In fact, I've been looking into both the Menzerna and Wolfgang lines. i was able to get my head around the CG products a little easier. To be honest, some of the terms are still confusing to me i.e. LSP (last step polish or product) is that the very fine polish or glaze?
(2) I was referring to camera settings...typing error.

Looks great! I love white cars.

If you want to cleanse the paint as you say, but don't see a need to polish because you don't see any swirls or marring,and you want to stick with the chemical guys line, the v38 has minimal cut but will deep cleanse the paint. Use white or black pads.

Wash, clay, v38, LSP. No need to wash again after clay.

To really make a white car look like its wrapped in a hard candy shell, I've found nothing works like a paint coating. You can't expect to get the deep dark wet look like you can with a black car, but you also don't have to worry about seeing every little scratch and swirl in white.

Zach wrote some really good articles about photography, you should be able to find a lot of those answer in the articles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank for replying! I'm looking at the Wolfgang and Menzerna products for my next go around (I'll use the CG on my wife's Landcruiser LOL)

Thank you very much! I'm not married to the CG product line. In fact, I've been looking into both the Menzerna and Wolfgang lines. i was able to get my head around the CG products a little easier. To be honest, some of the terms are still confusing to me i.e. LSP (last step polish or product) is that the very fine polish or glaze?
(2) I was referring to camera settings...typing error.

You will be blown away with Menzerna/Wolfgang.

LSP=Last Step Product. This means whatever is used as the last thing on paint. Wax, Sealant, Coating etc.

In the Wolfgang four, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is actually a finishing polish like Menzerna SF4000, Meguiar's M205 and so on.

When working with white cars, you may not get the same effect as a dark colored, but what you can get is a gleaming car that will blind you. White does very well with coatings or sealants.
I agree with the others, polishing is where you get the main gloss. On a new car, this could be achieved with a quality finishing polish, such as ones from Menzerna and Wolfgang.
You will notice if you asked these types if questions, that Mike and I will usually tell you to use Menzerna, because we both feel so strongly about the products.
I can tell you from my experience, pull the car in the garage, cut off the lights and get a halogen or LED light to see the defects. I actually do this on all the vehicles I detail.

HUMP

Agrees with hump perfectly explained, another reason why we suggest polishing the paint is cause you are removing the air contamination that done dimmed your paintwork though you did a amazing job you, and your little helper...keep up the great work

There's definitely swirls, you just have a white car and don't see them yet. It takes just the right lighting.

Also I get the best reflection in dimmer lighting than the sun. Shade or overcast brings the most reflection for me. Like this: View attachment 30340

thank you! I found the same thing... the reflection looked better earlier in the day when it was overcast. I'll pick up a light and check the paint again. thank you!

pulled the car in the garage, turned out the lights and examined the car...yup, I have swirls on the hood, a doors. I've been reading Mike's post about proper technique for paint correction (as well Junkman2000) and others. I like to correct the paint once, then maintain. Would anyone be interested in helping a newbie enthusiast? I don't expect to be spoon fed, but I would appreciate some experienced input. There's just a lot of information out there and so many products to choose from i.e. Menzerna, Wolfgang, and some products seem to work better for different stages i.e. prima amigo good b/c doesn't interfere with sealant and poorboys diamond white great for white cars.
Basically, I would like to correct once, then maintain. The car is a daily driver. I work 60hrs a week so weekends are usually busy with family, but I keep the kids interested in detailing for a couple of hours..so I was considering a good AIO to maintain. If I come up with a game plan, anyone willing to help out with advice? thanks

Back