What would cause this? (Claying)

mills3

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a question about what would cause this discoloration on my clay, but first let me explain the vehicle. Today I washed, clayed, and waxed an mid 2000s Ford Excursion. The paint appeared to be in pretty decent shape. As I was claying I was constantly getting this really "sandy" feeling as it was gliding across the paint. I understand that's what it was supposed to do, but when I looked at the clay, it was this weird green color. View attachment 30422
As you can see, the paint was like a tan or beige color. View attachment 30423

Can you tell me what would cause this? Was it a problem with the clay, or just that much dirt and grime on the paint?

It's probably just dirt and grime. It's also possible that there was some paint overspray on the surface that was a "weird green color".

My money is on green overspray. I recently detailed my fathers camper and had to wetsand the beige surface to remove all the bonded contaminants. When I lifted the 1500 grit sandpaper I noticed it was blue. As it turns out the lower area of the camper was resprayed blue and they did a terrible at covering up the surrounding area.
After a compound and polish, everything was as good as new.

Thanks for the replys everyone. I had no idea what that was.

Back