PDA

View Full Version : coating hardness

wildwilly1
10-08-2014, 09:17 AM
looking to put a coating on daily driver it is black. seems like I can breath on it and cause scratches in paint . what would be the best coating I can put on it to help stop this. what about cq uk heard you can put multiple applications. would 2 , 3 or maybe more work.

cleanmycorolla
10-08-2014, 10:47 AM
so, your wash technique is what prevents swirls. Coatings can scratch and you can still mar the paint, os improve your technique and use a coating if you like. But improper washing is whats swirling it out.

wildwilly1
10-08-2014, 11:03 AM
my wash technique is not causing it. it is proper. and drying is proper just need a suggestion on coating that will help is all

PiPUK
10-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Any of the mainstream coatings will assist, but don't expect miracles. They may claim to be harder than diamond but they don't behave that way! As above, I would try to ascertain why you are getting swirls and limit that. May I ask what wash method you use?

allenk4
10-08-2014, 12:01 PM
my wash technique is not causing it. it is proper. and drying is proper just need a suggestion on coating that will help is all

If washing and drying is not causing it...what is causing the scratches?

allenk4
10-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Any of the mainstream coatings will assist, but don't expect miracles. They may claim to be harder than diamond but they don't behave that way! As above, I would try to ascertain why you are getting swirls and limit that. May I ask what wash method you use?

The "Diamond" reference made me think...

A diamond can scratch a diamond...

Why do we expect that a piece of sand (silica) will not scratch a silica coating?

wildwilly1
10-08-2014, 12:03 PM
2 bucket method . dry with leaf blower then ww. the only reason I think a coating would helpis . I got birddroppings the other day at work had just cleaned car. I took a folded up piece of toilet paper soaked with water just held it on spot for a few then wiped dry with toilet paper this left scrarches ?

cleanmycorolla
10-08-2014, 12:51 PM
2 bucket method . dry with leaf blower then ww. the only reason I think a coating would helpis . I got birddroppings the other day at work had just cleaned car. I took a folded up piece of toilet paper soaked with water just held it on spot for a few then wiped dry with toilet paper this left scrarches ?

well that doesnt sound like the smartest to do....some TP is course, although are booties can't feel it, they are.... :)

wildwilly1
10-08-2014, 02:02 PM
maybe not but I figured it was better than leaving it on the paint for the sun to bake in. come to think of it explains the blood in the toilet

allenk4
10-08-2014, 06:37 PM

Birds eat Dirty Worms...

Bird Bombs are actually gritty

allenk4
10-08-2014, 06:39 PM
maybe not but I figured it was better than leaving it on the paint for the sun to bake in. come to think of it explains the blood in the toilet

At the 1st sign of blood in your stool, go to the Doctor

A Friend of mine didn't and had her entire Colon removed!

PiPUK
10-09-2014, 02:16 AM
The "Diamond" reference made me think...

A diamond can scratch a diamond...

Why do we expect that a piece of sand (silica) will not scratch a silica coating?

The thing is that quartz is 7H, 9H is harder...

CDot
10-09-2014, 08:19 AM
At the 1st sign of blood in your stool, go to the Doctor

A Friend of mine didn't and had her entire Colon removed!

Good Lord...