How do you work D151?

Grifffx4

Reaction score
Do you do several section passes per 2' x 2' or do you apply it like a LSP and go over the whole vehicle quickly and then wipe off?

What is your preferred pad?

I guess I know it really can depend on what your trying to accomplish but I'm wondering what is most common use.

After all, I don't think many try to do a lot of correction with D151 even though it may be possible. But then again maybe I'm wrong.

D151 has the most correction abilities of any AIO so people probably aren't using it at a LSP, not to mention it doesn't last long. I use it with either a white or blue hybrid with 4 section passes.

I use white or sometimes orange. Also do 4 or so section passes in the 2x2 section before moving on.

D151 has quite a bit of correction ability -- I think it's a 6 on Todd Helme's aggressiveness chart -- and it finishes really well. Mike Phillips has posted numerous articles here about using an AIO for turning around some pretty rough daily drivers, and D151 is considered a go-to AIO for many of us.

Do you make 4 section passes then wipe off or just leave it and move on to the next section then wipe off all at the end?

Do you make 4 section passes then wipe off or just leave it and move on to the next section then wipe off all at the end?

I do as many passes as it takes. When I was getting used to a DA a few years ago I asked similarly and was told to just work the product and I'd eventually get a feel for it. And I did.

Always do a test spot, it'll help you determine the pad choice, speed, weight and number of passes. Depending on the paint type and condition, I'd start with a white pad and lower speed, say 4.5 on the PC, with medium weight and slow arm speed (~1.5" per second), and check my results after four passes. Even with an AIO, there are plenty of variables for the operator to control.

PS: except for LSP or D301 and similar, I always wipe off after each section, even with AIO. I can always do a final buff later.

Good advice has been stated already. I really like the product myself for a AIO, its extremely easy to remove after 4-5 sections passes. I have noticed it doesn't like high temp surfaces and can dry up rather quickly. I don't use AIO's to much but it is my go to when in need.

I guess I figured most wouldn't use D151 to take a lot of time and use it more for just a production product. I know it has a lot of cut but just thought it as a quick pass (not as quick as a LSP) product to polish mostly.

Who uses a MF pad? Cutting pad or Finishing pad?

I use Meg's MF cutting pad when I want a little more cut with a product than an orange, but in so doing I'm going in knowing I'll do a finishing step on top of it.

D151 has quite a bit of correction ability -- I think it's a 6 on Todd Helme's aggressiveness chart -- and it finishes really well. Mike Phillips has posted numerous articles here about using an AIO for turning around some pretty rough daily drivers, and D151 is considered a go-to AIO for many of us.

Do you think D151 is two steps higher than M205 which is a 4 on the Autopia Chart?

http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg

Art Hernandez uses D151 some, hopefully he will chime in soon

I don't think I can answer that, the 11 step granularity of the chart makes it pretty generalized. With different pads and technique, there is overlap. I'm sure if I had an IKEA robot to test with the same arm speed, pressure, DA and pads on the same panel, I guess it's possible the cut is two steps higher. I put the cut somewhere in between D301 and M205, so perhaps. I haven't used most of the products on the scale.

I don't think I can answer that, the 11 step granularity of the chart makes it pretty generalized. With different pads and technique, there is overlap. I'm sure if I had an IKEA robot to test with the same arm speed, pressure, DA and pads on the same panel, I guess it's possible the cut is two steps higher. I put the cut somewhere in between D301 and M205, so perhaps. I haven't used most of the products on the scale.

I hope whoever inherits the Autopia Chart does expand it from the current 1-10 up to 1-11 in the future

The new compound from Menzerna cuts harder than FG400 and the Meguiar's scale already goes to 12

Maybe since the Meguiar's line is the most widely known; their 1-12 scale should be used and the Meguiar's products used as the measuring stick for aggressiveness

BTW...M105 is 12 on their scale and M205 is only a 4

Unfortunately, not all Meguiar's products are assigned a "cut number", at least not that is published

And I meant to say somewhere "between D300 and M205." Sorry for the confusion.

Back