PDA

View Full Version : Beware L.A. Wheel for aftermarket choice

richy
08-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Two years ago I purchased an additional set of wheels for my FX35. It came with 18" and I wanted 20" chromies for the summer. I purchased a set (a lot of $ for me) and used them one season. At the end of the season, I noticed a bubble on 2 of them. I had them stripped and lo and behold there was corrosion on the lip where the tire seals on all 4. They were sent back for warranty work (the customer has to pay the shipping both ways..what a crock of shizen that is!!!!) and after much arguing, they finally agreed to replace them.
Fast forward to now. The new set was put on in May. I just noticed the chrome on 2 of the wheels is starting to blister..again!! It's not worth my while to send them back..the shipping costs so much that I could almost buy another set. The blemishes are not big..yet, but the workmanship from this company is absolute garbage. IF anyone's considering buying wheels from them, I recommend strongly against it. See below for a pic of the pitting on one of the wheels.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/rhowitt/08-16-20074.jpg

Rey05
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
That sucks. I hate it when you dump a bunch of money into something just for it to fall apart...damn xbox 360s!! Hope it all works out!

Nica
08-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Man that's terrible buddy, sorry to hear about the rims. I can understand your frustration though. So.....if you don't mind me asking richy what's the next game plan?

Just wondering.

Gary Sword
08-16-2007, 09:12 PM
That sucks! I have a set of chrome wheels and some chrome is pealing on the inside of one of the wheels. Does anyone know a good place to get them rechromed. I guess you would not recomend LA Wheel.

Totoland Mach
08-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Gary: I remember a very high quality plater called Brown's Plating in Paducah KY. I used to be in the chrome plating business many moons ago (i.e. 1970ish) and they were our main competitor for custom bike parts plating.

I don't know if they do wheels or not, but there work was always very high quality stuff.

Toto

Gary Sword
08-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Gary: I remember a very high quality plater called Brown's Plating in Paducah KY. I used to be in the chrome plating business many moons ago (i.e. 1970ish) and they were our main competitor for custom bike parts plating.

I don't know if they do wheels or not, but there work was always very high quality stuff.

Toto

Thank's Toto! I'll see if I can find them.

Post Note: Toto I found them online but they don't do wheels or motorcycle frames.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Sorry to hear this richy

Question: I have seen LA wheels around on Ebay and was almost about to buy a set of TL rims from them.. is this the same outfit?

FMINUS
08-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Thats why I NEVER skimp on wheels!!

Pauly6401
08-17-2007, 08:25 AM
That sucks. I hate it when you dump a bunch of money into something just for it to fall apart...damn xbox 360s!! Hope it all works out!

My composite video out died on mine, and the S-video out had some sort of weird interference going on. I just had to send it back. It's supposedly under warranty but their website doesn't give me status updates like it should and everytime I call tech I talk to someone in India that has no idea what's going on. I guess I will see what the outcome is in 4-6 weeks. :p

richy
08-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Man that's terrible buddy, sorry to hear about the rims. I can understand your frustration though. So.....if you don't mind me asking richy what's the next game plan?

Just wondering.

I guess I'm going to just live with them until it gets unbearable and then I'll have to get them re-chromed..if I still have the car..who knows. Also, there is a local guy who just landed the contract for Canada for a paint that looks identical to chrome..or pretty damned close anyway. He is a friend of mine. I think I'm going to get my 18's done and b/c it's paint and not chrome, they should be fine for the winter and I'll still use the 20's in the summer.

Thanks Rey..I know people in this community respect my opinion so I thought I would share my experience..I would have hated to see a post where someone from here got burned and I did nothing to warn anybody!

That sucks! I have a set of chrome wheels and some chrome is pealing on the inside of one of the wheels. Does anyone know a good place to get them rechromed. I guess you would not recomend LA Wheel.

You can say that again..caveat emptor!!!

Sorry to hear this richy

Question: I have seen LA wheels around on Ebay and was almost about to buy a set of TL rims from them.. is this the same outfit?

Yes it is..Anton is the guy I had dealt with. Not only bad product, terrible return policy re: shipping costs but terrible customer service to boot. When you want to buy they call you right back..when there's a problem..you have to hound them.

Thats why I NEVER skimp on wheels!!

You know, there was a place in Ontario that was more $..hindsight is 20/20 but do I ever wish I had gone there instead!!

My composite video out died on mine, and the S-video out had some sort of weird interference going on. I just had to send it back. It's supposedly under warranty but their website doesn't give me status updates like it should and everytime I call tech I talk to someone in India that has no idea what's going on. I guess I will see what the outcome is in 4-6 weeks. :p

Customer service makes or breaks a company...why do you think AG does so well..they take great care of their customers..I just wish Max sold wheels:D

ScottB
08-18-2007, 08:34 AM
usually aftermarket cheap cast wheels will only last a year or so in finish, I highly suggest looking to forged units as pricing permits and quality plating. Weld offered 5 years on their chrome wheels.