2015 Mazda 6 GT ~ New Car Detail & Prep ~ Optimum Gloss Coat

~TumbleWeed~

Reaction score
Purchased a new 15' Mazda 6 GT w/ Tech Package last week.

Dealer never washed it or detailed it by request and I actually got to watch them peel the stickers off the hood & rear of the car.

Friday morning I began the detailing & decontamination process.

Foamed
Rinsed
Dried
IronX
Rinsed
Foamed
2 Bucket Method
Rinsed
Clayed
Dried

Polished w/ Flex 3401
Sf4000
5" White Hybrid pads
IPA wipe
Coated Paint w/ Optimum Gloss Coat
Coated Exterior Trim w/ CarPro Dlux

This was my very 1st experience using a machine polisher and coating.
Not too shabby if I do say so myself

Here are the pics!

coat1.JPG

coat3.JPG

coat4.JPG

coat2.JPG

coat5.JPG

coat6.JPG

coat8.JPG

coat9.JPG

……..and the final outcome!

Sorry, it was a cloudy day …..

m6_1.JPG

m6_3.JPG

m6_4.JPG

nice dude! congrats on the new car too.

PS - that tape job is the most comprehensive pre-polish tape job i've ever seen, hahahaha.

And last but not least…. I got the windshield tinted today w/ 5%

WS_Tint_1.JPG

WS_Tint_2.JPG

nice dude! congrats on the new car too.

PS - that tape job is the most comprehensive pre-polish tape job i've ever seen, hahahaha.

Thanks man…. yea, l really wasn't sure how much was over board. lmao

Like I said, this was my very first extensive detailing job and I didn't have anyone here to show me the ropes.

Everything I've learned, I've learned here over the past couple of months.

Still a long way to go for sure…. but it's a fun experience and I'm loving it!

Going to be doing my Wife's new 2015 Mazda 3 this weekend :buffing:

Great result! I love white cars, but I'm jealous that we can't get the same "reflection" quality that colored cars can.

Outstanding job my friend! Beautiful ride too:)

Outstanding work Rick! That looks incredible!

You really spent some TLC with your car and it really shows. Nicely done good sir.

I see the SF4000/3401 combo worked out pretty well...

Nice work glad to see you got it done!! Those b pillars definitely needed the overhaul didn't see too much else wrong though.

First one of those I've seen Very nice. What makes the GT a GT?

First one of those I've seen Very nice. What makes the GT a GT?

What I got was, The Mazda6 i Grand Touring (GT) w/ Technology Package for the additional $2k.

For me, having all the added bells & whistles makes driving "this" car that much more enjoyable. I don't use the lane departure all that much and would only use it if I'm driving those long distances and where I might be beginning to nod off.

The blind spot monitors have already helped in a few instances. It beeps when I turn on the blinker and another vehicle on either side of me is too close. Then, it stops beeping the instant you have room and can wedge your way in and this feature too has helped me already.

Also for long distances, I have the i-ELOOP, which allows my "cruise control" to act as a guidance and will automatically slow me down when i come up behind a vehicle and will maintain that sped at what ever distance "I" set it at behind said vehicle without ever stepping on the brake or gas. Then if I switch lanes, it will automatically return back to the original MPH setting I had it on. :dblthumb2:

Here are differences between the Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring (GT) models they have available.

The 2015 Mazda6 = is offered in three trim levels: i Sport, i Touring and i Grand Touring. The Sport and Touring offer a choice between a manual or automatic transmission, while the Grand Touring comes equipped only with an automatic.

The Mazda6 i Sport = comes with a 6-speed manual transmission, air conditioning, cruise control, remote keyless entry, push-button start, an AM/FM/CD stereo with six speakers and a USB audio input, 17-in alloy wheels, dual power mirrors, a tilt-telescopic steering wheel, a 6-way manual driver's seat with manual lumbar support, steering wheel-mounted audio controls and a leather-wrapped shift knob, steering wheel and parking brake handle. Add an extra $1,705 to get the automatic transmission and you'll also gain a rearview camera, Bluetooth, a 5.8-in color touchscreen display, Pandora Internet Radio, audio menu voice command and an HD Radio.

There are no option packages for the Sport, although some dealer-installed options include rear parking sensors, an auto-dimming rearview mirror and front fog lights.

The Mazda6 i Touring = has all the features found on the automatic-equipped Sport trim plus dual-zone automatic air conditioning, a blind spot monitor and a power driver's seat. The Mazda6 Touring also boasts leatherette seats, Advanced Key keyless entry and start, handsome 19-in alloys and rear cross-traffic alert safety tech.

Touring = models equipped with the automatic transmission have two options-package choices. The Moonroof/Bose/Satellite Radio package ($1,350) is self-explanatory, while the Touring Technology package ($1,550) adds smart city brake support, auto on/off headlamps, heated side mirrors, a TomTom navigation radio and rain-sensing wipers (must be ordered in conjunction with the Moonroof/Bose/Satellite package).

The Mazda6 i Grand Touring = includes all the equipment found in the optional Touring trim package plus an automatic transmission, leather seats, heated front seats, bi-xenon headlights with auto leveling, fog lights, an 8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support, a 4-way power passenger seat, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters and adaptive front headlights.

The Grand Touring Technology Package ($2,080) adds radar cruise control, forward-obstruction warning and lane-departure warning, along with automatic high-beam control and i-ELOOP active grille shutters.

What I got was, The Mazda6 i Grand Touring (GT) w/ Technology Package for the additional $2k.

For me, having all the added bells & whistles makes driving "this" car that much more enjoyable. I don't use the lane departure all that much and would only use it if I'm driving those long distances and where I might be beginning to nod off.

The blind spot monitors have already helped in a few instances. It beeps when I turn on the blinker and another vehicle on either side of me is too close. Then, it stops beeping the instant you have room and can wedge your way in and this feature too has helped me already.

Also for long distances, I have the i-ELOOP, which allows my "cruise control" to act as a guidance and will automatically slow me down when i come up behind a vehicle and will maintain that sped at what ever distance "I" set it at behind said vehicle without ever stepping on the brake or gas. Then if I switch lanes, it will automatically return back to the original MPH setting I had it on. :dblthumb2:

Here are differences between the Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring (GT) models they have available.

The 2015 Mazda6 = is offered in three trim levels: i Sport, i Touring and i Grand Touring. The Sport and Touring offer a choice between a manual or automatic transmission, while the Grand Touring comes equipped only with an automatic.

The Mazda6 i Sport = comes with a 6-speed manual transmission, air conditioning, cruise control, remote keyless entry, push-button start, an AM/FM/CD stereo with six speakers and a USB audio input, 17-in alloy wheels, dual power mirrors, a tilt-telescopic steering wheel, a 6-way manual driver's seat with manual lumbar support, steering wheel-mounted audio controls and a leather-wrapped shift knob, steering wheel and parking brake handle. Add an extra $1,705 to get the automatic transmission and you'll also gain a rearview camera, Bluetooth, a 5.8-in color touchscreen display, Pandora Internet Radio, audio menu voice command and an HD Radio.

There are no option packages for the Sport, although some dealer-installed options include rear parking sensors, an auto-dimming rearview mirror and front fog lights.

The Mazda6 i Touring = has all the features found on the automatic-equipped Sport trim plus dual-zone automatic air conditioning, a blind spot monitor and a power driver's seat. The Mazda6 Touring also boasts leatherette seats, Advanced Key keyless entry and start, handsome 19-in alloys and rear cross-traffic alert safety tech.

Touring = models equipped with the automatic transmission have two options-package choices. The Moonroof/Bose/Satellite Radio package ($1,350) is self-explanatory, while the Touring Technology package ($1,550) adds smart city brake support, auto on/off headlamps, heated side mirrors, a TomTom navigation radio and rain-sensing wipers (must be ordered in conjunction with the Moonroof/Bose/Satellite package).

The Mazda6 i Grand Touring = includes all the equipment found in the optional Touring trim package plus an automatic transmission, leather seats, heated front seats, bi-xenon headlights with auto leveling, fog lights, an 8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support, a 4-way power passenger seat, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters and adaptive front headlights.

The Grand Touring Technology Package ($2,080) adds radar cruise control, forward-obstruction warning and lane-departure warning, along with automatic high-beam control and i-ELOOP active grille shutters.

back in 2007 i got a 2008 Mazdaspeed3 and the GT package even back then was a crazy value. i see things have only gotten better. Mazda is very competitive.

This was your first time using a machine polisher? You used a 3401?

This was your first time using a machine polisher? You used a 3401?

Hello conman1395, yes, this was the very 1st time I have EVER used a machine polisher! Ever!

Never even held a polisher until a few weeks ago when mine arrived at my doorstep.

And yes, I've got the Flex 3401 w/ extra backing plates so I could utilize the 5" Hybrid Pads by Lake Country.

I honestly felt very comfortable from the beginning using the Flex.

Especially after watching a couple of Mike Phillips' Flex 3401 Videos and also reading his Flex Book as well as a few threads here including Mike's (Smack's) thread on the Flex & Menzerna products!

I'd also like to thank Tato (Thanks Tato) for helping me through the process….I honestly don't think I could have had the results I did w/o his help!

Now I'm looking forward to doing this exact same step to both my wife's & Mom's new cars :dblthumb2:

Sun came out for a second or two today so i tried to get a reflection shot!

m6_6.JPG

ok ok…I may have went a little over board on the tape.

I blame my OCD for that one :D

Thought I should make a sign in case I have to go back to the dealership anytime soon!

DoNotWash.JPG

Nice job. We always see pictures of good results, but no joke, that tape job was well done!

Back