PDA

View Full Version : Can I top D301 with a sealant?

Charleston
12-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Can I apply/polish in D301, wipe off, and then immediately top with a sealant like blackfire wet diamond?

The Guz
12-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Sure you can.

wdmaccord
12-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Personally, I wouldn't. Sealant usually needs a clean polished surface to bond with. Topping D301 with a coat of wax would be a better scenario.

The Critic
12-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Sure you can.

+1

The solvents in AIOs, sealants and waxes are fairly similar so the application of a paint sealant will essentially "re-dissolve" the layer that is already on the surface.

With that said, the approach may not be ideal for durability but I think you'll still reap most of the benefits of the product you apply. I top D301 with OCW.

FUNX650
12-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Why would this combination work so well,
i.e.: Applying a Sealant over Polish/Glaze...
{BFWD over BFGEP}

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection
Directions:

"For best results clay the paint first with BLACKFIRE Poly Clay and polish with BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish......."

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish:
The polish and glaze in one that creates WHIPLASH!"

"BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish is a remarkable finishing polish with a built-in glaze for the ultimate "wet-look." Used before your LSP (last step product), BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish improves the gloss and clarity of the finish."

"Gloss Enhancing Polish is designed for enthusiasts desiring the deepest, wettest gloss. When used under BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, it's pure magic!"

And then think that the below combination won't work, or won't work as well?
{I.E.: topping a Hybrid Sealant (D301)...with a Sealant (BFWD).}

Meguiars D301 Finishing Wax

This blend of mild cleaners, polymers, silicones, and carnauba...

So to answer your OP's question:

Can I apply/polish in D301, wipe off, and then immediately top with a sealant like blackfire wet diamond?
I will emphatically say yes!

Bob

cardaddy
12-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Why would this combination work so well,
i.e.: Applying a Sealant over Polish/Glaze...
{BFWD over BFGEP}

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection
Directions:

"For best results clay the paint first with BLACKFIRE Poly Clay and polish with BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish......."

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish:
The polish and glaze in one that creates WHIPLASH!"

"BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish is a remarkable finishing polish with a built-in glaze for the ultimate "wet-look." Used before your LSP (last step product), BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish improves the gloss and clarity of the finish."

"Gloss Enhancing Polish is designed for enthusiasts desiring the deepest, wettest gloss. When used under BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, it's pure magic!"

And then think that the below combination won't work, or won't work as well?
{I.E.: topping a Hybrid Sealant (D301)...with a Sealant (BFWD).}

Meguiars D301 Finishing Wax

This blend of mild cleaners, polymers, silicones, and carnauba...

So to answer your OP's question:

I will emphatically say yes!

Bob

I will emphatically AGREE!

Typically... the only thing that would not work over a polish (even if it's a "finishing wax/polish) would be if that if you are applying a "coating". In that instance you REALLY need to apply whatever cleansing polish, wipe, cleaner, etc. that comes with, or is recommended by that manufacturer to be applied prior to "coating".

Belair
12-30-2014, 08:20 PM
I've put sealant on top of 301 with no problems.

expdetailing
12-30-2014, 08:38 PM
My opinion is that any quality wax or sealant applied over an AIO will substantially add more protection than any AIO could by its self.

wdmaccord
12-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Ok guys, help me out here...we usually talk about not putting a sealant over a wax...D301 contains wax, so in my mind I wouldn't put a sealant on top of this. I feel like I'm disconnected here somewhere given all the trusted names I am seeing in the replies. I am always open to continuing education, so what am I missing?

BFWD over BFGEP makes sense in my head because it's the same family and should be formulated to work together. I get putting a sealant on top of AIO's like BF TPnS topped with BFWD or Uber AIO topped with WGDGPS because the polymers will work together being in the same family.

Since D301 already has polymers and wax for protection, by adding BFWD, are you maybe not maximizing the benefit that each would provide on its own?

Thanks guys!

Dereksdtail
12-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Don't mean to go off topic but quick question, does anybody use the damf polish?

Charleston
12-30-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys.

I guess I too was confused, glad it is cleared up.

Saves me a little time!

FUNX650
12-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Ok guys, help me out here...we usually talk about not putting a sealant over a wax...D301 contains wax, so in my mind I wouldn't put a sealant on top of this. I feel like I'm disconnected here somewhere given all the trusted names I am seeing in the replies. I am always open to continuing education, so what am I missing?

BFWD over BFGEP makes sense in my head because it's the same family and should be formulated to work together. I get putting a sealant on top of AIO's like BF TPnS topped with BFWD or Uber AIO topped with WGDGPS because the polymers will work together being in the same family.

Since D301 already has polymers and wax for protection, by adding BFWD, are you maybe not maximizing the benefit that each would provide on its own?

Thanks guys!
First:
(Addressing synergy between BlackFire family members)

•BFGEP...stated to be a: Polish/Glaze
•BFWD....stated to be a: Sealant

As I remember:
We usually talk about not putting a Sealant over a Glaze...
no matter the family bloodline. :)

But BlackFire says it recommends doing so. :dunno:

Secondly:
(Addressing Meguiar's D301 being a "Wax")

Ok guys, help me out here...we usually talk about not putting a sealant over a wax...D301 contains wax...
•Unless there is quite a bit of wax that's mixed-in D301's "Conditioners", or "non-hazardous Mixture"...I see Meguiar's D301 as being more of a Sealant-based hybrid product, than a Csrnauba Wax-based hybrid.

{Note: Of course I could be way off course.}

The following is taken from D301's MSDS:
SECTION 3: Composition/information on ingredients

Ingredient................................CAS#
•Non hazardous ingredient........Mixture

•Naphtha (petroleum),
hydrotreated heavy.................64742-48-9

•Ceramic materials and
wares, chemicals....................66402-68-4

•Distillates (petroleum),
hydrotreated light...................64742-47-8

•Conditioners........................Trade Secret

•Siloxanes and silicones,
di-Me.....................................63148-62-9

As I remember:
It has never been said that you could not apply a Sealant-based product over another Sealant-based product.

Hope this was helpful.

Bob

wdmaccord
12-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Thanks Bob. Sounds like the jury could still be out, but I guess it sounds like people have done it with no ill effects. If it works, it works.

Carry on...nothing left to see here. :dblthumb2:

FUNX650
12-31-2014, 01:20 AM
Thanks Bob. Sounds like the jury could still be out, but I guess it sounds like people have done it with no ill effects. If it works, it works.

Carry on...nothing left to see here. :dblthumb2:
^^^Sure thing.^^^

No need for me, then, to spontaneously try to add
more elements to the narrative.

Bob