PDA

View Full Version : Drying question

hawaiian
01-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Drying a coated car with absorber will you instill swirl marks?

PA DETAILER
01-10-2015, 06:15 PM
50/50 chance. Do a flood rinse to remove 80% of the water. Then i would use a good quality ww drying towel. Nothing wrong with the absorber. Just better methods out there.

FUNX650
01-10-2015, 06:18 PM
No (LSP)-Coating can prevent swirls 100%.

Bob

builthatch
01-10-2015, 06:27 PM
drying a coated car with absorber will you instill swirl marks?

while a coating can be harder and thus more scratch resistant than some clear coats...most likely, yes.

VISITOR
01-10-2015, 06:55 PM
if you blot dry instead of wiping that will help prevent installing swirls. I really don't have the need for a drying towel these days. once you use the flood/rinse sheeting method with the hose on the final rinse and a leaf blower after, there will be some droplets remaining in which a qd/spray wax with a microfiber towel can pick up the rest...

slicksierra
01-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I can say for a fact that on a coated surface a towel still has the potential to install swirls. The swirls will be in the coating instead of the clear coat which is an important distinction

swanicyouth
01-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Maybe I don't understand something, but when you dry your car it's clean and your towel is clean. I can't see how you would "introduce swirls"; unless you didn't do something right.

That being said, "The Absorber" just sucks.

The swirls will be in the coating instead of the clear coat which is an important distinction

I see this as being extremely unlikely.

slicksierra
01-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Maybe I don't understand something, but when you dry your car it's clean and your towel is clean. I can't see how you would "introduce swirls"; unless you didn't do something right.
Dust, missed spots, a microfiber than has picked something up you name it the possibilities are there. There's was to mitigate these possibilities but they are still factors

swanicyouth
01-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Dust, missed spots, a microfiber than has picked something up you name it the possibilities are there. There's was to mitigate these possibilities but they are still factors

I'm guessing they are possible. But none of those things have ever happened to me. Real "dust" will not cause scratches. Maybe that's why I can't wash a car, clean wheels & wells, and vacuum it in 30 mins. While the possibilities are endless; just slowing down and dealing with the task at hand can ensure you don't have issues. If your doing this for $$$, then my experience/opinion is irrelevant.

FUNX650
01-10-2015, 08:11 PM
The swirls will be in the coating instead of the clear coat which is an important distinction

I see this as being extremely unlikely.
^^^ :iagree: ^^^

Bob

swanicyouth
01-10-2015, 08:12 PM
^^^ :iagree: ^^^

Bob

How are your tonight Bob?

FUNX650
01-10-2015, 08:20 PM
How are your tonight Bob?
Thanks for asking.

Lately: It's been too cold around here.
Tonight: I'm trying not to roast my chestnuts.

Note:
I'm hoping your heating system is up and running OK now.

Bob

swanicyouth
01-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks for asking.

Lately: It's been too cold around here:

Tonight: I'm trying not to roast my chestnuts.

Note:

I'm hoping your heating system is up and running OK now.

Bob

Yeah, they fixed it. Said the outlet or condensation pipe was frozen due to "extreme temperatures". As much as I complained, I just went in the leasing office like a sissy and asked if they could fix my heat please.

FUNX650
01-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Yeah, they fixed it.
:dblthumb2:

Bob

Britsdaddy
01-10-2015, 09:32 PM
In my experience, no.