PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here with questions

Mark I
02-19-2015, 08:12 PM
Let me start by telling you the 2 cars I want to detail, First is a 2006 white 4 door tundra. Second is a 2010 red mustang. I have purchased a HF DA polisher, and a nanoskin sponge. I also have bought a 5 inch backer plate for the polisher. No pads yet. The tundra needs the most help so lets start there. My plan is to wash and dry, nanoskin it, followed by meguiars ultimate compound, the ultimate polish, the top off with collinite 845. I am suppose to wash and dry between each step correct? I am going to do the truck first before taking on the mustang. Am I missing anything? The red mustang is in pretty good shape. I have had less than 1 year. Washed and hand waxed on a very regular basis. I have never clayed or nanoskined. There are some minor swirls in the paint. Nothing real bad, but I want it to stand out. My plan there is about the same, only I was going to skip the compound. Hopefully the nanoskin, polish and wax will do the trick. I can always go back if it doesn't. Does this sound like the way to go on the mustang? I need to buy pads. I am looking at the Lake Country 6 pack. What colors do you suggest? Thanks in advance for your help, and your advice is greatly appreciated. Also, never used a machine on a car....tips?

brettS4
02-19-2015, 08:46 PM
:welcome:
Hey Mark. First of all, you might wash after the nanoskin, but not any time after that in the process. If you want to clean up between UC, UP and Collinite, use IPA (diluted isopropyl alcohol) like a QD.

Otherwise, you seem to have the gist of it. I'll let someone else suggest pads. I've never use LC flat pads, but they're a good choice in general.

There are quite a few threads that Mike has started about using a DA. Or check youtube for videos. They take a little getting used to, but nothing you can't figure out pretty quickly.

Make sure you do a test area 50/50 to see if your combination is doing what you want. Good luck!

ski2
02-19-2015, 11:31 PM
Mark--you may want to take a look at the new Megs THIN 5" pads-- Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-foam-discs.html) They have been getting great reviews and while the HF DA has decent power, the Megs pads would make it that much more effective. Also, make sure you buy enough pads for each step 4-6 for compounding and 4-6 for polishing and one for each LSP you plan to apply. Here's a post by Mike Phillips
with some suggestions http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html