Hydro2 vs wax

Dessureaullt

Reaction score
This question has been stuck in my head for the last 2 days, considering the super easy application and great performance of hydro2, In what circumstances would you guys reach for a bottle of wax/sealant instead? I'm curious to hear your opinions on that!

The answer falls under 3 categories:

1) Look
2) Function
3) Cost/application

All waxes and sealants are not created equal and as such may have different optical qualities for the particular paint you are working on. So if your goal is look based then you may experiment and find that a certain traditionally applied sealant may offer you better results than Hydro2. Secondly, the water beading and shedding properties will different between product (same as longevity), so based on your intended goals and your personal experimentation, you may find one working better on your specific car and in your specific location (although I think that you will be hard pressed to find better than Hydro2 in any location). Lastly, I would be remissed if I did not mention cost/application. In certain application you may compromise speed of execution for a higher cost of application and in other applications you may choose the more economical option even if it increases your work time.

I do use Hydro2 a LOT and do have some bottle sealant, but my stock of sealants are dwindling since I've been hard pressed to find better than Hydro2 and Reload

This question has been stuck in my head for the last 2 days, considering the super easy application and great performance of hydro2,

In what circumstances would you guys reach for a bottle of wax/sealant instead?

I'm curious to hear your opinions on that!
With Hydro2's "activation-process" in mind:
When there is no access to a strong-water-pressure source.

Bob

I am hesistant to use Hydro2 on my car because I like to use other products, the spray waxes and detailers, occasionally paste waxes etc. Not for anything but the process, as its therapy to me. I use Hydro2 for things like wheels, grill etc. I know if I use it for the rest of the car, it will take my pleasure of using other products away :) I use and highly recommend Hydro on other cars and for other people because it is so dang easy! Looks great and it works!

thanks for your input guys it answers my question perfectly! now time to buy more hydro2

For my business, it has completely replaced wax. Provides glossy surface, superior hydrophobic behavior, longer lasting, stays cleaner longer, ease of application, labor & cost savings, and the ability to seal paint, windows, trim, and wheels at the same time.

From an enthusiast or hobbyist standpoint who likes to play with waxes and detail sprays, there is no need for Hydr02. Anything you top it with will affect its hydrophobic characteristics. Unless, you are a hobbyist who likes the ease of maintenance and would use for friends & family.

Empirically speaking, what kind of longevity are you guys getting from H2 on wheels, glass, trim and paint? I plan to start using mine when things warm up and I can be more liberal with the hose. We have normal weather here in spring.

So hydro2 does add gloss as well? I've read mixed opinions on this.

Empirically speaking, what kind of longevity are you guys getting from H2 on wheels, glass, trim and paint? I plan to start using mine when things warm up and I can be more liberal with the hose. We have normal weather here in spring.

Regularly maintained vehicles in South Louisiana, with a proper prep, I see 4 months out of Hydro2 with no difficulties. This is hand washed not carwash or touchless, and using the right products. The product does lose some of its efficacy but I haven't seen a complete failure even at 4 months (that is where I get my client to reapply regardless). I don't use Hydro2 on glass..... I just upsell CarPro Forte which lasts and lasts and last in comparison. On rims I would say 2 months +/-

That's great to hear. Basically hoping to get a season out of it. Anybody coming to me for Montreal-winter prep will either get a good sealant or "traditional" coating.

Regularly maintained vehicles in South Louisiana, with a proper prep, I see 4 months out of Hydro2 with no difficulties. This is hand washed not carwash or touchless, and using the right products. The product does lose some of its efficacy but I haven't seen a complete failure even at 4 months (that is where I get my client to reapply regardless). I don't use Hydro2 on glass..... I just upsell CarPro Forte which lasts and lasts and last in comparison. On rims I would say 2 months +/-

How durable is CarPro Forte? we use Aquapel for our auto glass company but I would be really interested in offering a more durable/premium option

How durable is CarPro Forte? we use Aquapel for our auto glass company but I would be really interested in offering a more durable/premium option

Forte is a newer product and a newer technology. The current claims are that it should last 2 years. I was part of the Beta Testing and have had Forte on my glass since September and it is going as strong today as it was 6 months later

I'm going on five months of harsh winter with several FlyBy30 cars and no signs of it giving up. Perhaps the key was in the prep -- Iron-X, clay/NanoSkin decontamination, CeriGlass polish with Rayon pads on PC, proper wipe down -- but I'm pleased with he results. I still have more FlyBy to use up, but since acquiring it Forte has been made available to hobbyist's and I picked up a bottle to try this spring. Given my experience so far, I have no doubt that Forte will last two years and perform as advertised.

Back