PDA

View Full Version : extra coarse buffing pads for DA polisher

pman626
03-13-2015, 10:52 PM
if you use light or lighter pressure with extra coarse buffing pads on a DA, will you get similar results as a medium orange buffing pad with regular pressure, or would the extra coarse pads result in paint marring regardless of pressure ?

This is the "extra coarse" pad I'm looking at....
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/31cAAOSwO7pVAl6q/$_57.JPG

AutowerxDetailing
03-13-2015, 11:15 PM
It depends on the paint. Typically a courser foam cutting pad will have a greater potential to leave DA haze (all things being equal: tool, speed, pressure, product, etc.) compared to a lighter polishing pad. You really wouldn't know until you do a test spot and inspect your work under correct lighting after an alcohol wipe down.

spiralout462
03-13-2015, 11:19 PM
The idea is to use the least aggressive method to get the job done. Whatever that method is depends on many, many variables. The test spot will tell the tale.

dlc95
03-14-2015, 08:54 AM
It depends on if the pad is actually coarse, or stiff. My favorite cutting pad for that past couple years has been the green hex logic, and recently, the Lake Country Cyan Hydrotech.

The pore structure of both pads is what seperates them. The green hex is an medium density open pore pad. I get great cutting, and coverage with this pad. The coverage comes from it's ability to conform comfortably to contours. Another pad with this characteristic is the Lake Country pink ccs. I would love to try a flat or ccs made out of their purple kompressor foam as the pores are even larger.

The Lake Country Cyan Hydrotech is a closed cell prepolymer foam. The pad itself doesn't add to the cutting as much as the abrasive in the compound. It primarily relies on resistance, and density of the foam to push the abrasives into the paint. These pads have the characteristic of leaving a really nice finish as well. With these pads, the pressure plays more of a role in the performance of the compound.

I don't know what company made the pads in the pic, so I can't comment on them.

oldmodman
03-15-2015, 04:57 AM
The pads with the "gritiest" feel I have ever used were the maroon pads from Meguiar's

If you use them you will always require a second step.

pman626
03-22-2015, 01:09 AM
ah well. we'll see how gritty these are.
they were only $3 for the pair.

my roof paint has tiny dimples that make the paint look cloudy, and my current foam pads don't have enough cut to make them go away