PDA

View Full Version : A Clay Bar for older paint prior to wax?

MTHall51
08-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Just wondering if it would make a difference if I used a clay bar prior to using a cleaner wax, with a pure wax top coat. Has anyone done this? If so, how do you get the impurities out of the clay bar once they are embedded?

CalgaryDetail
08-27-2007, 12:53 PM
a clay bar wil pick up way more then the cleaner wax. If you are waxing for the first time, or havent waxed in a while i would recomened you clay regardless of what wax you use.
once the clay bar has some impurties in it you will kneed the bar. I would say every pannel since the car sounds like it has a lot of contaimants. You basicly just smush it all up and reflaten it.

After a while (a couple cars depending on how bad they are) you will find the clay is not working as well or not at all. at this time you should throw it away as it is used up. Clay is relivilty cheap so dont worry about throwing it out.

Also i woul recomend you cut the clay bar into quaters. If you drop the bar on the ground it should be thrown away. if this happens you dont wast a whole bar, instead you waste 1/4 making it less devisating.

Hope this helps

ScottB
08-27-2007, 04:43 PM
clay typically tries to pull away and encapsulate the contaminents, polishes and AIO's use abrasion (grinding) to remove. Thus I always suggest a wash --- clay --- polish (or paint cleaner) --- protect .