Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion before Collinite 845?

CC268

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am going to detail my new 2014 F-150 (only 500 miles on it) in a few weeks when I have time. I plan to wash it and then clay bar. However, I am wondering if I need to use the Cleansing lotion on it since it is a new truck. Most people I have talked to say no. Should I just clay bar and then apply the Collinite 845?

I also have some Pinnacle Souveran wax that I could use after the 845, but I will probably be too lazy to do that.

I would say that using the paint cleanser surely won't hurt anything.
That if the dealer applied some sort of detailer spray, or used some form of wash soap that had some shine enhancers in it, the Cleanser would insure these products would be stripped from the paint before waxing.

Many here would probably say to polish after claying, and that might depend on a few factors as to how the paint looks after claying?

Those could be color of the paint, the hardness of the paint, the aggressiveness of the clay, and how much contaminants are on the paint?

Many might say first an Iron Remover such as Iron-X, then Clay.
I'd assume the paint is in superb shape, so a gentle clay would probably be best. The Pinnacle Blue Clay is very gentle to paint I've found.

IMO, and with that new of a vehicle, I would try to avoid paint polishes with abrasives if it can be avoided at this point in time. Unless you're doing shows with the vehicle and want reflections, and the paint polished out to the nth degree. I feel there's always time for that down the road, to not remove valuable clear coat/paint if it can be helped.

Using a good paint cleaner is a good way to prep the paint for the protection/beauty layer. These products bond best to a clean surface and not built up grime.

I will use the Pinnacle Cleansing lotion then. This is a daily driver NOT a show car. I am trying to touch the paint as little as possible to avoid inducing any swirls etc.

I agree with Mark's comments above. If you are going to clay the car, most would advise you follow that with a polish before the sealant / wax. Clay can mar the paint.

I would definately use the cleaner. What is the color ?. I did 3 coats of 845 and the Wife's Van looks great.

Dave

Pinnacle cleansing lotion rocks...on a new vehicle...perfect.

I've heard ford is having a lot of problems with the paint on there aluminum bodies.

If you are gonna clay, then you should polish. Personally I find no need to cleanse for simply waxing. If you are gonna do a sealant or coating then I'd go the extra step.

Alright thanks guys I will do the cleansing before the Collinite

I've heard ford is having a lot of problems with the paint on there aluminum bodies.

Good thing it is a 2014...not an aluminum body...but the new Ford 's are incredible trucks. :xyxthumbs:

Surely both pro and con on the cleanser, and it will be a personal choice.

Hypothetically, if it was me and my truck, and lets say I do one panel with the Paint Cleanser, and by a remote chance the product upon removal was working me to death, I'd then probably forego the product at that point in time.

As for shortening the longevity of Collinite 845 by not using the cleanser, that might not be an issue, as the carrier solvents in 845 just might cut through and dissolve any lesser products possibly used.

It's hard to say what should be done with a vehicle's paint without a look-see in person. If the truck sat on the lot for a number of weeks-months, the "detail boys" often have to keep the vehicles looking somewhat representable, and therefore could possibly use anything from spray detailers and rags, to numerous washes? Nobody knows?

Often too, I've seen Dealers use Glazes prior to delivery. This sure makes the paint nice and shiny, and can also hide a literal nightmare of minor surface swirling everywhere. That after the first wash or two, the vehicle now looks like it's 4 years old.

If you don't have one, and like detailing, then having a nice DA Machine with assortment of Pads sure has its perks-advantages. They can even help make short work of applying waxes and sealants as well.

Surely both pro and con on the cleanser, and it will be a personal choice.

Hypothetically, if it was me and my truck, and lets say I do one panel with the Paint Cleanser, and by a remote chance the product upon removal was working me to death, I'd then probably forego the product at that point in time.

As for shortening the longevity of Collinite 845 by not using the cleanser, that might not be an issue, as the carrier solvents in 845 just might cut through and dissolve any lesser products possibly used.

It's hard to say what should be done with a vehicle's paint without a look-see in person. If the truck sat on the lot for a number of weeks-months, the "detail boys" often have to keep the vehicles looking somewhat representable, and therefore could possibly use anything from spray detailers and rags, to numerous washes? Nobody knows?

Often too, I've seen Dealers use Glazes prior to delivery. This sure makes the paint nice and shiny, and can also hide a literal nightmare of minor surface swirling everywhere. That after the first wash or two, the vehicle now looks like it's 4 years old.

If you don't have one, and like detailing, then having a nice DA Machine with assortment of Pads sure has its perks-advantages. They can even help make short work of applying waxes and sealants as well.

A DA is in the future, but I am a broke college student and don't have the cash for it now. I graduate in two weeks though, so when I get a job that may be on a list of things to buy. For now I am doing everything by hand with the white and red CCS 4" spot buffs and a Pinnacle Polishin' Pal

Back