How to remove these scratches from ML63?

993Cab

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks to my own stupidity, I managed to put some scratches in the metal trim under the window on my ML63. Don't ask. I'm asking if anyone knows how to remove these?

I'm unsure of what the material is and how to polish it. Pathetic pics included. They were tough to photograph.

Thanks for any help, and I love this forum.

I cannot tell if they below the surface or not. If they are not below the surface, something like a simple paint transfer, and the metal is smooth try some wax.

If they have dug into the metal I wouldn't touch them. I assume the black coating on the metal is very thin and if you were to try to polish you may easily wear away more of the black. If you say they are hard to photograph, they are probably hard to see.

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for but it is what I would do. I would just force myself to forget about them or look into purchasing a new trim piece.

Thanks. I think the best advice is don't mess with it, you're right.

I just did a 2014 Black Mercedes Benz E350 Coupe. I use Menzerna FG400 and Menzerna SF4500. I used an Orange Lake Country Hybrid Pad for the compounding and White Pad for the Polishing. BTW, this Mercedes Benz did not have the ceramiclear coating. You can check if that SUV does by reading the door jamb code. I there is a "C" before the paint code number it has ceramiclear. I believe that is a very hard clear coat.

The scratches appear to be light scratches. It should be easily fixed. I am assuming you are using a DA. I used a Flex 3401 at speed setting 5 for compounding and polishing. Here are a couple of pics of the benz I did this last weekend.

I would suggest starting with the least aggressive (polish as opposed to compound) method 1st. IMO it appears that polishing will get that out. SF4500 should work too but that's my opinion. It has very little cutting ability.

I am guessing your metal trim will be the same concept. I know I have read that you can polish metal trim with a very fine polish. Try a small test spot to see.

She went to a hand car wash and basically ruined my work the 1st time. The 2nd pic is the finished job. Don't wanna bore you with too many photos.

The other option is to leave it alone!! Me at least I would give it a go for a learning experience.

Back