PDA

View Full Version : Help with correct steps/product

Redwings
06-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey all

I have 01 Black BMW and tan/gold 02 Lincoln Navigator and just received the PB's polish and detail kit. I also have PC 7424 to help with the process. I need some expert advice to make sure I do this the right way. I wanted to ask before I get to the big steps before I REALLY screw it up.....

I have washed/clayed and washed again and was going to use the 2.5 SSR on the BMW (it has moderate swirl marks).

Then follow up with the SSR1 (this is a polish as well right?)

Then Nattys blue (2 layers??)

Then the QD as the LSP?

Am I missing something though? I see lots of discussion about sealants/glaze etc.. to make the paint "pop" as they say.

I am going to use similar steps on the SUV but probably just the SSR 1 since that paint isn't as bad as the black car.

Also as far as the plastic trim pieces down the side and below the bumpers can any of these SSRs or Wax get on them (or best not to?) If not what is best to use on them. I have some auto paint tape to help with this if needed.

As you can tell I am new to this and REALLY appreciate any direction and or advice you can give.

cwcad
06-18-2006, 12:00 AM
What kind of pads are you planning on using?

The plan that you indicated is plausible. If you are inexperienced the general rule of thumb is to start with the least aggressive product and pad first.

I have started with SSR2.5 then finished with SSR1 on my Black truck numerous times. It is a good combination. Don't be afraid to go over excessively swirled areas several times to get the desired results. Take your time and enjoy the process.

ScottB
06-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Youve got a nice plan given the steps and outline of trucks and finishes. Biggest thing to remember is to NOT rush the polish. Work each panel for 5 minutes on full speed. Keep pad slighly damp with Qd'er as needed.

Also Nattys is the LSP. The Spray and Gloss is a QDer+ to be used between detailing sessions to bring back the pop.

And finally, always best to keep wax and sealants away from rubber and trim as possible. Its less cleanup when you find a product that doesnt work well on them. Most qd'ers work well on them however.

Redwings
06-18-2006, 09:57 AM
I have the orange pad that came with the PB"S kit. Was planning on using that one for the SSR's.

So you dont think I need to add a sealant? or the steps I have is enough?

And you suggest 2 layers of Nattys paste correct?

Thanks again

ScottB
06-18-2006, 10:08 AM
I have the orange pad that came with the PB"S kit. Was planning on using that one for the SSR's.

So you dont think I need to add a sealant? or the steps I have is enough?

And you suggest 2 layers of Nattys paste correct?

Thanks again

you can add a sealant like EX-P into the equation before the Nattys to add durability. I would not bother with second coat of Nattys, and carnuabas really dont layer over each other. (do search -- spit shining if insistent on two layers of carnuaba)

joe.p
06-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure which thread the spit shine is in,but it a great how too:applause: by neothin. One worth looking into.

belcherm58
06-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Here is the Spit Shining thread.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=727&highlight=Spit+Shine