Need some experienced advice, can this be corrected?

dwink

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at a 2003 BMW Z4 that either had a clear bra or an actual bra on the car at some point. The paint is faded everywhere else.

I do have a good orbital (purchased here), and could also find a good local detailer if it is beyond my skill level. Do you think this could be corrected?

Do you know if it's single stage paint?

Unfortunately, I don't think it can be corrected unless it is (and I doubt it is).

I'm pretty sure it is not single stage. I was thinking a bit of wet sand might blend it.

I don't think you will be able to correct it. That is a huge difference, actually kind of surprised how bad that looks.

I may not know what I'm talking about, but it looks to me like that car had a clear bra on it, that protected that area from the UV fade that happened to the rest of the car.

I don't think you'll be able to fix that as the fade may be under the clear (thinking about some red Hondas years ago where the basecoat faded under the clear). You could try hand rubbing with some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (auto parts chain store, Wal-Mart) on a microfiber applicator and see if you can make a difference.

Oh wait--it's not your car yet? Maybe they will let you rub on it anyway--that's really bad.

Like everyone else stated, it's probably going to require a repaint. But if the customer wants you to try, grab some decent compound and go at it with a yellow or orange hexlogic 5.5" pad.

Its not going to make it look any worse and if it works, could save the customer thousands of dollars.

Do you know if it's single stage paint?

Unfortunately, I don't think it can be corrected unless it is (and I doubt it is).

That BMW isn't old enough to be a single stage paint.
I'd be more interested in the condition of the clear coat.

Well, I decided to buy the car- got a very good discount due to the paint (private sale).

Thanks for all the advice, I am going to give it a shot- I will post some results.

Any recommendations for the compound I should use? I have the yellow and orange pads ready to go.

Back