Letting 114 air dry

frankprozzoly

Reaction score
I'm gonna try wiping down with 114 in DI water and letting it air dry in the garage. I'm curious if it'll streak

It might not. As a rinseless, I like to do a few panels at a time before I do my drying pass. I'm in my garage so shade and cool temp so no worries in that regard.

Anyway, I notice sometimes after my "wet" pass (not drying), the solution on the surface has evaporated and I did not see any streaks. To be safe, I still wipe the panel down with a damp towel then do a final buff with a dry waffle weave.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Since D114 is claimed to leave nothing behind, it will be an interesting experiment.

I'm gonna try wiping down with 114 in DI water and letting it air dry in the garage. I'm curious if it'll streak
Just curious:
What dilution ratio of D114 are you going to be using?

TIA.

Bob

Willtothewong did a review of D114 not to long ago.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/91270-review-meguiar-s-d114-rinseless-wash.html

Here's a excerpt from it:
Furthermore, I noticed parts of the panel will dry before I am able to wipe it dry with a towel and to my surprise, no streaks or anything. I am not talking about letting the entire panel dry, but just from the time it takes me to do a few panels and the edges of where I cleaned, the solution "creeps" from it and leaves behind a nice, streak-free surface.

It will streak... at least it does on my black car.

Just curious:
What dilution ratio of D114 are you going to be using?

TIA.

Bob

I haven't gotten that far Bob. The car is very clean. So certainly doesn't need to be strong. I just got a new bag of resin for the cr spotless. Right now it's in the 30's. Still low but I have to do this test when that's at 000.

I have mine mixed 1:16 for panel wipe and it has streaked on 2 cars and not streaked on about 6-7. Not sure what was up, it was in the exact same conditions.

My logic is that it will suds so I'm still betting it does streak. I've not had it streak on me but I always wipe. Why you wouldn't I dont know but I am interested to see what happens.

My guess is when dirt, dust, and road film mixes with it, it's going to streak no matter how pure the water is. 100% of the dirt is not going to be pulled up into the wash media.

Interested to see what happens!

OP - what color is your car?

It's silver but don't let that fool ya. When I wipe it down and it looks perfect. Theres streaks left behind when you see it in the sun. I've never let it air dry before using DI water so I'll do this within the next couple of days. I have to change the cr spotless resin

My guess is when dirt, dust, and road film mixes with it, it's going to streak no matter how pure the water is. 100% of the dirt is not going to be pulled up into the wash media.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean that after cleaning with 114 that there'll be still dirt left behind? Your probably right but if that's the case,you shouldn't be drying it down anyway. Maybe I'll go over the car a couple of times with express wash. I plan to use GD's method. What I've been doing lately is wiping down with 114 and rinseing with CR ... this time im not gonna rinse or dry. Wipe down to get it as clean as possible then we'll see what happens

Sorry for the quote willtothewong, I didn't notice that you had already posted.

Now I'm confused. You are going to do it to a completely clean vehicle?

no not completely clean. not dirt covered though. i'm gonna do it this weekend. that'll be about a week since last touched

Sounds complicated and too much work. But hey part of this is experimentation.

Interested in how this works out. I use D114 exclusively on my cars at home and have always dried them afterwards, then hit them with D156. Always meant to use the D156 as a drying agent since I've read some people do that.

Back