PDA

View Full Version : Swirls/spots - Optimium

Si06
09-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I have spots on my 2006 Si Fiji Pearl Metallic which several paint guys told me is acid rain. The car was out of my care for 6 months near the coast. I also had swirls. The spotting and swirls are only visible in artifical or low light conditions. I used a PC with an orange cutting pad and Optimum Polish first. It sure did remove the swirls, but no joy on the spots. I moved up to Optimum Compound and that helped reduce the spotting but not remove them. The surface left after the Polish and compound was amazing to the touch though. I'm considering going to the next aggressive level of Optimum. Any advice out there? Feed back please

Perry

trhland
09-07-2007, 04:42 AM
I have spots on my 2006 Si Fiji Pearl Metallic which several paint guys told me is acid rain. The car was out of my care for 6 months near the coast. I also had swirls. The spotting and swirls are only visible in artifical or low light conditions. I used a PC with an orange cutting pad and Optimum Polish first. It sure did remove the swirls, but no joy on the spots. I moved up to Optimum Compound and that helped reduce the spotting but not remove them. The surface left after the Polish and compound was amazing to the touch though. I'm considering going to the next aggressive level of Optimum. Any advice out there? Feed back please

Perryi woould then step down yo optimum polish and a medium cutting pad then a finishing pad with the same polish

ScottB
09-07-2007, 06:35 AM
acid rain is a bugger since it usually can actually etch a finish. Sometimes wetsanding is the only way to remove and best done by a professional. If you believe your polishing worked, make sure to wipe down entire finish or rewash first. Then any micromarring or smaller marks might be able to be removed with lighter polish and pads.

Si06
09-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys. The Optimum Compound did make the spots less notible but did not completely remove them. Sounds as if I need to have it wet sanded. Do you think it would be cost affective to try a heavy cutting pad with the compound or go to Optimum Hyper before I seek professional help?