Teach me about Nanoskin

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I keep reading about Nanoskin here. From what I gather, it's a substitute for clay? Or is it the name of the villain in the new Avengers movie?

I keep reading about Nanoskin here. From what I gather, it's a substitute for clay? Or is it the name of the villain in the new Avengers movie?

LMAO!!! Yes its the Bad guy in Avengers!!!! Actually Nanoskin is another option other than "traditional" clay. I use the Blue Nanoskin Sponge and 6" Disc.

IMO, once you use the Nanoskin Sponge you will never or rarely use clay again. I have had an unused bar in its container for over a year +. With a NS Pad if you drop it just wipe it off and keep on trucking. You will cut your "claying" time down significantly. No kneeding, no having little clay stuck in between cracks, etc.

Just make sure you use plenty of lube when you are using it. IMO, I would give that a shot. There is the red sponge and that is more heavier duty. I cannot comment on it as I have been happy with the Blue Nanoskin and see no reason to change.

So the blue is finer grade? How often do you use it? Every wash?

So the blue is finer grade? How often do you use it? Every wash?

No only when the car needs it or fails the "baggie" test. Yes the Blue is the finer grade. The Red is heavier duty, however, I have not used it so I cannot comment if it is better or not than the Blue.

Great product, if dropped just rinse and continue. Prices vary so check around.

once you use a prep towel there is no going back to clay. Also if you have even mild arthritis wow what a difference not having to kneed clay makes. I have speedy prep towel and opti towels both work great. I think i may get nanoskin sponge for touch up during washes behind wheels and tailgate area need it more often and may get a disc for the DA to use when I am doing a polish or correction.

Nanoskin's are awesome. Buy one. Don't hesitate. You'll never bother with traditional clay again. I love my blue sponge.

Get the sponge combo set. I use the blue a lot, and occasionally the red on heavier contamination. They are major time savers. Plus no kneading, just rinse and go. Having both on hand is great.

Here's a little tid bit I wrote a few years ago....

Frequently Asked Questions about the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

I also have a few articles on "how to use" these products. Here's one...

The Aggressive Approach to Washing a Car

I cover these products in both of my how to books too and of course we go over the mitts, towels and pads in all our detailing boot camp classes.

You can even see them in use in one of my boot camp classes in this video...

Here it is from YouTube....

[video=youtube_share;FW-gPtK11ng"]Autogeek.com Detail Classes[/video]​

Cool tool.

:xyxthumbs:

They are truly awesome, I switched a couple years ago and never looked back. I do keep traditional clay around for really bad areas as I feel the Nanoskin isn't great with larger bits of contamination on a car that has never been coated, but for newer cars or well maintained cars, it is more than worth it, and soooo much easier on your hands.

Agree with everyone else here that it is so much better than clay and cleans easily.

Words of advice: definitely break it in as they suggest on your window; use an appropriate amount of lube.

It's just a great product. I have the blue sponge and the blue wash mit that I use with the Nanoskin soap.

Sent into the Ether via Tapatalk 🆒

I bought the Speedy prep towel, very similar item, about 2 years ago and thought the fine grade would be enough. When I first used it I found out it wasn't really enough, so I now use it about once a month as a part of my maintainence. I bought an Optimum clay towel, heavy grade, to take care of customers cars and it really does the job, and its smaller as well.

These products are well worth the investment and all serve a purpose for sure :xyxthumbs:

Mitt vs towel vs sponge? What's easier to use?

I think that comes down to personal preference.

I think the DA one would be the fastest, but tight areas u have to be careful or use something else.

Sponge fits well in the hand but doesnt really bend over some curves well

Mitt (I havnt used) seems like you could have the most control over in curves and right areas.

Just my thoughts

I bought an Optimum clay towel, heavy grade, to take care of customers cars and it really does the job, and its smaller as well.

Is this one more aggressive than a yellow Nanoskin mitt or red Nanoskin sponge? Or fairly similar?

Everyone keeps mentioning using plenty of lube, can car wash be used as lube with Nanoskin's and other products?

Back