Wheel cleaning tools

Coopers ST

Reaction score
Hey all,
My Focus ST brakes create lots of dust. My wheels get extremely dirty as a result. As of now I use a soft brush, and wheel wollies and do an ok job. I was thinking of adding a new brush and wanted to know your thoughts on a couple products. One is a Daytona Speed Brush, the other is an Ace Turbo Stick or equivalent on each.
Thanks

Are you talking about cleaning the actual wheel? Or the caliper? To make cleaning the wheel a lot easier I would put a coating on it! And they will look better too.

What product are you using to clean the wheels? A dedicated wheel cleaner or APC or diluted?

I think the best thing you can do, although sacrificing performance slightly, would be to swap brake pads to less dusting ones.

Yes cleaning the wheel not the caliper. For the chemicals either Sonax, or Eagle 1 A to Z

Ah.... used to have an ST..... switch to hawk HPS and all your brake "troubles" will go away.

Use sonax or similar with a speedmaster brush, then coat them with DLux or similar. I've had no issues with that combo ever. Grab a few boars head brushes for lug nuts and valve stems and hard to reach places! Especially the little triangles on the stock ST wheels (if you still have those of course.)

Use an acid wheel cleaner to deep clean them then coat with DP Wheel coating or CQ DLUX and use paint shampoo for the next year until they need coated again.

Daytona brush and a boars hair brush for the lugs. Then buy some ceramic pads so the dust issue is resolved thus less cleaning. Lol. I have a f150 and the dust was horrid until I got some ceramics. Now there is barely any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are using Sonax and wheel woolies and its not getting it done, then somethings wrong.

It cuts right through my BMW brake dust with ease. My daytona brush never gets used and therefore never sprays grime all over my arms.

Hey all,
One is a Daytona Speed Brush

They to fling dirty water back at you under almost any circumstance. Regardless, I still use mine. I also have a similar spoke brush with tampico fibers that's a bit more aggressive, but has yet to scratch a wheel when I soak it well to soften the fibers a bit.

These guys, I have the larger one and it fits nicely in my OE BBS RC wheels.
Wheel brushes for spoke wheels, deep set spoke wheel brush, large wheel brush, wheel brushes

Whatever brush you go with, buy a coating!!! Cleaning my BMW's rims has been a breeze since coating them with DP's Wheel Coating.

The daytona is a nice brush to have on hand. I would recommend it, as well as a couple boars hair brushes from solo horton. If you own a full set of woolies, a daytona, and a few solo's, you'll be hard pressed to find a wheel you can't clean 95% of with ease. Also, putting a coating on the wheels will make them easier to clean in the future.

I use Daytona's pretty much exclusively but the new Microfiber Madness Incredibrush is calling me.

Has anyone used one around here?

Cooper, without a doubt your timing for the thread is perfect! Advance Auto Parts has Meg's DUB wheel cleaner on sale right now, $5.00, so its almost 50% off. It sprays on bright green and then turns dark red when it finds and lifts the grit out of the wheel. At its regular price its cheaper than Sonux and GG HD wheel cleaner for sure, but with this sale, well, its a no brainer.

As with any wheel cleaner some agitation is needed sometimes but it all depends on your wheels state of dirtiness.

If you are using Sonax and wheel woolies and its not getting it done, then somethings wrong.

It cuts right through my BMW brake dust with ease. My daytona brush never gets used and therefore never sprays grime all over my arms.

I agree. My big Brembos kick out a lot of dust, and an APC and my wheel woolies clean it up perfect.

How often do you go between cleanings?

Thanks for the tips all. I wash every week or two depending on weather. I use Sonax every few washes, and eagle 1 A to Z the rest of the time. I would not say it isn't getting the job done, just thinking a different brush would make it easier.

Back