General questions from a newbie

Impala2014

Reaction score
I'm hoping to use my flex3401 for the first time this weekend, as long as it isn't too hot and humid. I have a few questions as I wait for the weekend to get here:

Is it OK to run a cutting pad (orange or white LC CCS w/ total swirl remover) over small chips in the paint typically found on the front end of most cars? Will this make the chips worse or will it have no effect on them?

In general, how many paint corrections can a paint job withstand before you risk going through the clear coat? Let's say a car would require a complete correction once or twice per year using a product such as total swirl remover combined with an orange or white CCS pad to remove light to moderate swirls using a flex 3401.

Lastly, after a correction is complete, are there any uses for the flex 3401 to help maintain the shine, let's say on a monthly basis. If yes, which products and which pads to perform this maintenance?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Usually you can run a polishing pad over chips and be ok ( why not get yourself some touchup paint and get the majority of them filled then dry and polish after?)

There is no "general" for how many times, lotsa factors to consider. You shouldnt have to swirl remove once or twice a year (take better care washing the paint inbetween polishing)

You can wax with your FLEX if you would like, get a really fine finishing pad (usually blue/black/red depending on the company making them)

Thanks. Which paint chip repair products would you suggest?

I will be sure to search for some proper washing techniques on this site to confirm what I am currently doing. I use a 2 bucket system with grit guards now.

A lot of people polish twice a year (once before winter sealing, and in the spring after winter), but if you're going to do that I'd recommend something slightly milder than the TSR, like Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.

I recommend going to AutoZone or Advance Auto OR the dealer and get yourself a touch up vile and have at it. You can always wet sand lightly and then compound and polish.

Back