What not to do with a bug scrubber

pacman

Reaction score
So I was prepping my buddies 2010 Subaru Sti wtih some Tar-X and a Simoniz bug scrubber. Worst detailing mistake of my life :(

The culprit:
0398021_1

This is what a bug scrubber will do to your clear coat:

IMG_4381_zpsqxoj1eky.jpg

Thankfully I was able to remove the disaster with a PC7424xp and Sonax perfect Finish with an LC Orange Flat pad.

IMG_4385_zps0sfjale3.jpg

I just wanted to warn anyone out there that was thinking about using one of these to scrub the tar off their paint.

Just to note I also soaked the sponge before touching the paint and the Tar-X was still very wet on the panels before gently scrubbing.

i only use these for glass, they do a great job getting all of the bugs on the wind shield.

A couple things come to mind when reading this:

1. Why would anyone who likely knows better use anything made by Simonize on paint?

2. Why would you scrub tar off paint when you had Tar X (which works pretty well)?

Was the car bathed in tar?

i only use these for glass, they do a great job getting all of the bugs on the wind shield.

This! Personally, now that I know how destructive these are, would ONLY use these on glass. Maybe that's what they are intended for in the first place.

A couple things come to mind when reading this:

1. Why would anyone who likely knows better use anything made by Simonize on paint?

2. Why would you scrub tar off paint when you had Tar X (which works pretty well)?

Was the car bathed in tar?

1. I should have known better honestly. Their stuff is entry level at best.

2. I just thought using the scrubber would remove the tar a lot quicker and more efficiently. The car had tons of tar all over the doors.

Again, I should have known better. Live and learn. I just wanted to post this in case anyone was thinking of using this type of product and to be aware of what it can and will do.

This! Personally, now that I know how destructive these are, would ONLY use these on glass. Maybe that's what they are intended for in the first place.

stay away from plastic headlights!! i learned that the hard way, nothing like doing a free headlight restoration on a $30 wash.

Was this post in regards to my question? What do you use for getting the bug residue off that a wash mitt or pressure washer can't take care of?

Another...Re: "What not to do with a bug scrubber"

Don't use it after a going on spirited
nighttime ride in a lowered drop-top.

:eek:

Bob

haha I dont know about the tar-x but I would use a bug scrubber on that forehead for sure :p

Was this post in regards to my question? What do you use for getting the bug residue off that a wash mitt or pressure washer can't take care of?

This Detailer’s Road Kill Bug Remover, best bug remover, love bug remover, how to remove bugs and tar or APC with a damp microfiber applicator (gently used to agitate area after soaks for 30+ seconds). I never use "scrubbers" on paint...not worth the risk.

Some more bug removal technique/tips here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZacGQVt9xU

Back