Can these wheels be refinished?

brianw0048

Reaction score
My wife has a 2004 SRX. A couple of the wheels seem.to be losing the clear and are in really bad shape.

Can anyone point me to some DIY links to refinish these wheels? I've looked online but everything I find refers to aluminium or alloy wheels, not wheels with a machined face.

Thanks.

You can exchange them for an professionally refinished wheel: H 4581 CADILLAC SRX 18x8 Thin 7 Spoke w Covered Lugs - Wheel Collision Center

Or are you saying you want to repaint them yourself? The problem is wheels use a 2K clear just like the clear on the rest of the car, so it's a little more involved than painting a deck chair or something.

Just to be clear, those are "aluminum" or "alloy" wheels, just because they have a clear face and gray spokes doesn't change the construction of the wheel.

Just to be clear, those are "aluminum" or "alloy" wheels, just because they have a clear face and gray spokes doesn't change the construction of the wheel.

Correct...but most DIYs online show how to repaint. I want to sand and reclear these and it's hard to find any detailed info online.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure your entire wheel is clearcoated (except for the barrels, if I know GM). So you are saying you just want to sand the clear off of the part that doesn't have the gray paint (just the "high polish" sections) and spray clear on only the part you sanded?

Rattle can clear will turn yellow, if you want to do a good job you will need a 2K clear rattle can, and that requires a serious respirator, etc. Also, if you think it is going to be easy to sand off all the clear...it's not--especially with trying not to damage the gray.

There's wheel repair companies that are mobile. They typically charge 50 bucks a wheel. And will sand and re-learn each wheel. Most also offer a warranty on the work also.

There's wheel repair companies that are mobile. They typically charge 50 bucks a wheel. And will sand and re-learn each wheel. Most also offer a warranty on the work also.

Thanks. I thought most places charged more than that though...

Try giving dent wizard a call. They do wheel repair and painting also.

Back