Ouch...this guy has obviously never been on AGO...

I won't lie until I got my WW towels I was using a very plush white cotton towel. Honestly, I didn't have any issues (no scratches or marring) because I am very gentle (lightly dab dry).

Well, it wasn't that bad. Most of the advice I thought was pretty on par with the concepts of washing a car - pre-rinse, 2 bucket, microfiber, dedicated cleaners. Yes, the beach towel was pretty bad...

When you think about what we see on a daily basis or even the comments from the video .. this is nothing close to train wreck we come across. Think about the looks us Autogeekers get when we wash our cars.

I just polished a friend's car because he thought 2 bath towels 1 to wash 1 to dry and two REGULAR buckets was a good idea. He goes ro a autopiarts store get soap and it doesn't realize the other stuff may be important.

Not that bad of a video. I have seen worse. Maybe a C or C- on the report scale or 5 - 6 out of 10.

There were only a couple of cringe worthy moments!!

Never heard of the coffee filter thing...might try that one day on interior glass.

Well, it wasn't that bad. Most of the advice I thought was pretty on par with the concepts of washing a car - pre-rinse, 2 bucket, microfiber, dedicated cleaners. Yes, the beach towel was pretty bad...

When you think about what we see on a daily basis or even the comments from the video .. this is nothing close to train wreck we come across. Think about the looks us Autogeekers get when we wash our cars.

I just polished a friend's car because he thought 2 bath towels 1 to wash 1 to dry and two REGULAR buckets was a good idea. He goes ro a autopiarts store get soap and it doesn't realize the other stuff may be important.

:iagree:

With a little tweaking it's not bad advice for the average car owner.

Shammys? Not knowing how to wash, how to dry, not to lean on the vehicle, OMG where was anything done correctly. (In that you're trying NOT to damage the paint.)
First, anybody that's ever really washed a car knows to have a DEDICATED bucket for your wheels, as well as dedicated wheel brushes and NEVER use that wash media on the rest of the car. Then wash your wheels first so you don't have to sit in water when doing them. Heck, he even went as far as to say he does the wheels last (with the same towel) so it doesn't get dirty. Why would you use a towel in the first place, and WHY would you use one on the wheels that will EVER touch your paint? :eek:

Use a wadded up, cheap, thin microfiber towel when scrubbing in all directions during washing. Yeah RIGHT! What about a dedicated microfiber wash mitt instead. Better yet, especially on a Viper, get a Merino wool mitt and treat the car like it deserves.

Never, EVER wash with a silly towel and go up, down, in circles, do behind the tires, the rockers, then back to the top.

Get you some wax and slather it all over the place, especially thick in the cracks and crevices. Did you SEE the amount of wax between the fender and the hood????? :awman:

I like how he said, "I just use an old beach towel". OMG!!!!! Might as well use a "clean floor broom". And this is why people look at me funny when I tell them a wash job takes 4 hours.

Doing the interior are we? Well he did say it stirs up dust, got that part right. Then why prey tell didn't he do it FIRST. Never mind the fact that it would keep you from standing/kneeling on a wet driveway when getting it all done. :rolleyes:

Of course he didn't have to care, because Chrysler 'loaned' the vehicle to him. Might as well let a dealer "polish it" afterwards and add that long awaited DISO package to it.:buffing:

Get you some wax and slather it all over the place, especially thick in the cracks and crevices. Did you SEE the amount of wax between the fender and the hood?????

Yeah that was my favorite part...

Explaining the "green technology" when he had his butt parked on the fender SHUT UP AND GET THE HECK OFF THE MANS CAR!!!!

Oh yeah while he patted himself on the back...

"one of my first jobs out of college was detailing cars, so I know a lot about keeping cars clean & shiny"

WHILE HE HAS HIS GREASY PAWS RESTING ON THE FENDER :D

:iagree:

With a little tweaking it's not bad advice for the average car owner.

All said, it's not THAT bad of a video for the NOVICE. But he does show off some dangerous (to the paint) habits that need to be corrected - same towel for wheels & paint, sitting on & touching the paint needlessly, heavy wax over the cracks ... a OLD beach towel ... meaning it's worn & the nap is wearing thin? Please.

No... it's not THAT bad.... in the same sense that 'crack' is just a little 'pick me up'. :rolleyes:

I didn't see him do one thing any better than my next door neighbor, and THAT guy could care less! :eek:

Heck, once we were outside doing a clients vehicle and my wife looked over there and he was taking a bucket, a rag, and lord knows what kind of soap and scrubbing his X3 M Series. She was so appalled by it that she took my foam cannon and electric pressure washer over there to him. Then showed him how to work it, and told him how much better it'd be for his paint. HECK... even his 7 year old KID got in to spraying foam all over the place! :D

He did it once, didn't even bother to rinse and reapply, much less change his method of washing (and she even took him a microfiber wash mitt). He never even finished washing the X3 with it. Rag falls on the driveway? No problem, stick it in your wash bucket (if at all) then plop it back on the paint. Kid scrub the tires with your 'rag', then scrub the doors? Not a problem... I snit you not!!!!! :eek:

I even took him a big spray bottle of AquaWax and told him he could use it while drying, even after it was dry. Didn't bother to mess with it... just too much effort. Some people can't be helped.

But.... now you start talking about his motorcycles, and his dedicated shop in the basement for them all (that you can eat off the floor in) and that's a different situation. Everything from a couple of KTM 450's, to a Z12, to a Buell, (and several other street bikes that get bought and sold along the way) all the way to his vintage Simplex bikes. Two of those are unmolested, original through and through. The third he keeps in his living room, restored to better than new condition.

Just don't try to get him to take care of his cars!:dunno:

But seriously... if a guy... from an AUTOMOBILE site/blog can't do any better to educate the public on how to maintain their vehicles paint, then as my Mama used to say, "If you can't say something worth while, keep your mouth shut!".

Holy Cow!

I bet they pressure wash the floor mats while they are still inside the car.

Back