Tuf Shine problems with sub-200 treadwear tires

JBendoiii

Reaction score
I have scrubbed my practically-new Yokohama Neova AD08 (treadwear 180) within an inch of their lives.

Used a pressure washer, isopropyl alcohol, and drill brush and half a bottle of Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner.

The product developers are great guys, and very eager to help -- but they are baffled. Tuf Shine adhesion problems are always a matter of some prior dressing still being on the tires. That just isn't the case with mine. Yet three coats of Tuf Shine are flaking off like dry Elmer's Glue -- after perfect preparation and care.

So a theory surfaces -- perhaps the tire manufacturers, in order to get soft sub-200 treadwear ratings (Yokohoma Neova, Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, Dunlop Direzza, Bridgestone Rival) or R-compounds (Toyo R888, Hoosier R6) are putting something into the compound that is preventing normal Tuf Shine adhesion.

Any experiences with Tuf Shine failing to stick to "soft" tires? Performance Summer Tires, Extreme Performance Summer Tires, R-comps, slicks, etc.

I know, I know -- a real racer doesn't use ANY tire dressings. But I'm on a Detailing forum here ... cut me a tiny bit of slack :-).

Any thoughts/observations are appreciated.

I had some problems with Tuf Shine on new Yokohamas; nothing fancy, just SUV rubber. I suspect Tuf Shine is not the best choice for some brand new tires; perhaps it's best to wait awhile for the mold release agents and anything else to naturally wear off? Anyway, If you want black tires without the problems, I found that Tuf Shine's Black Restore doesn't have the adhesion problems of their Clear Coat. Black Restore gives a nice sheen too.

Nowadays, I use Turtle Wax's Jet Black Endura Shine Tire Coat; it's cheaper and works just as well.

How old are the tires?

I don't even bother dressing or coating summer-spec Michelin tires until they have at least 2,000 miles on them. The mold release wax is practically impossible to remove, regardless of the cleaner, and it prevents the dressing and/or coating from sticking.

If your tires are brand new or low mileage, I wouldn't be surprised if you're experiencing the same issue.

The tires only have about 1000mi on them ... but they are 2013 model (AD08, not the newer AD08R). Mostly aggressive track or autocross driving (multiple heat cycles).

Could there still be mold-release agent on tires after that long?

The "sticky compound" in some of those
</~200 UTQG rated tires often goes
clear down to the cords.

•So:
-I'd say your "compound theory" of why some tire
dressings seem to face difficulties in adhering to
these type of tires...is on the right track.

-But it'll be nigh onto impossible for the ordinary
consumer to squeeze any really pertinent information
regarding the tires' compounds formulas out of
their manufacturers.

:idea:
For "(part-time streetable) track tires"...
Just use, (and keep renewing as personal
tastes dictate): Meguiar's M40. That's
what I do. :)

Bob

Could there still be mold-release agent on tires after that long?

Absolutely.

Put 2,000 -3,000 miles on them, scrub them with weekly, and then try the tire coating again. I would be willing to bet you'll have better luck. :)

Orange oil ... aha. The Tuf Shine founders had recommended using orange oil at some point to REMOVE residual on the tires.

If it works well as a solvent ... and is IN the tires ... well, no wonder the Tuf Shine doesn't stick.

I would say that this is a very strong hypothesis at this point -- be wary of soft compound tires and these "permanent" tire shines.

I don't even bother dressing or coating summer-spec Michelin tires until they have at least 2,000 miles on them. The mold release wax is practically impossible to remove, regardless of the cleaner, and it prevents the dressing and/or coating from sticking.

I ran into this same issue on a brand new set of Conti DW's recently.

Goes to show that not all tires are created equal.

I had a set of Khumo's (all season) on my Mazda 3 and nothing, and I mean nothing would last more than day or two....except Poorboy's Bold N Bright Spray. It was the damnedest thing. :eek:

Back