PDA

View Full Version : A couple of quick questions.

rablwo
08-04-2015, 04:35 PM
I have spent quite a bit of time reading the site. First of all, I appreciate everyone's input. There is a wealth of information here. I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

Q1, I have a 2014 Ram CC. The paint is PX8 black. Is this considered a hard, medium, or soft finish?

Q2, Early on I got three tiny paint chips on the nose of the truck. I used a color match paint pen to fill in the chips. I regret it. It is very obvious and didn't blend in at all. Since I have found this site, I learned of Dr ColorChip and the technique to fix a chip. Is there a way to redo the ugly paint chip repair?

2black1s
08-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Welcome!

I can't help you on question one but for question two (paint chip) here's what I would try...

Since the paint pen you used is more than likely a lacquer based product I would try to remove your touch-up carefully with a cotton swab and lacquer thinner. The lacquer thinner should soften and dissolve the product you have applied without affecting the original finish as long as you work within reason. Prolonged exposure to lacquer thinner could soften even the original finish but it would take quite a while. If you use a little caution and pay attention to what's happening you shouldn't have any issue.

Then simply re-perform your touch up to your own satisfaction.

Mike Phillips
08-04-2015, 04:54 PM
I have spent quite a bit of time reading the site. First of all, I appreciate everyone's input. There is a wealth of information here. I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

Q1, I have a 2014 Ram CC. The paint is PX8 black. Is this considered a hard, medium, or soft finish?

Paints change from year to year even at the manufacturing level. The best way to gauge paint hardness of softness is from experience after buffing out thousands of cars. Without this experience it can be kind of tricky to know expect from others that have worked on the same vehicle AND have lots of experience. (no one ever likes this answers - sorry).

Q2, Early on I got three tiny paint chips on the nose of the truck. I used a color match paint pen to fill in the chips. I regret it. It is very obvious and didn't blend in at all. Since I have found this site, I learned of Dr ColorChip and the technique to fix a chip. Is there a way to redo the ugly paint chip repair?

You should be able to remove the previous touch-up paint using acetone and the acetone won't or at least shouldn't affect the baked on factory clearcoat.

I wouldn't let acetone dwell on the factory paint for very long as it's very hot solvent. Instead, get some heavy duty rubber gloves to keep the acetone off your skin as it's dangerous to your health and "dab" at the touch up paint you want to remove till you're happy.

Dr. Color Chip System is very good system. I show it in all my 3-day detailing boot camp classes. As of today, I have not been able to get to the pictures showing before and after results from the last class.

For those interested, here's my article on how to use Dr. Color Chip.

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/83526-how-use-dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair-systems.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=79573

:xyxthumbs:

2black1s
08-06-2015, 06:58 PM
You're welcome! ####.

rablwo
08-06-2015, 07:13 PM
My apologies, I assure you my silence was not meant to offend. I am new and not familiar with the etiquette here. I have not had the opportunity to try the solutions yet. I was going to reply after I had that opportunity.

I do appreciate y'all taking the time to respond. Hopefully, I will have the chance to try to fix my bad touch up this weekend.

2black1s
08-06-2015, 07:44 PM
You're welcome! ####.

There ya go! Please disregard my previous post and good luck.