2013 Mustang Red Candy- Which Natural Wax?

jth877

Reaction score
Guess I have two questions.

My traditional recipe is BFWD then BFCS topped with Midnight Sun. Is that overkill for a summer only ride? Would I get better results not using a sealant at all? I did experience a "graying out" and had to do a light polish the car this spring to remove the buildup. Maybe just BFCS then a natural wax?

I really liked Midnight Sun, is there something else worth a try? I'm into depth and metallic pop. I was thinking DJ Orange Crush or Pete's '53 over HDspeed AIO.

Here is my 2005 Mustang with Collinite 915 marque d'elegance
Collinte does add depth and you state you're into that. It's like a 5 mile depth and shine. Perhaps what Bob recommends?

But as Mike Phillips always says, "The proof is in the pudding".

This is something that always gives me a headache!! I have about 30 - 40 (now from 20 -30) different types of waxes. I do have a handful that I really like. But I also look for "ghosting or hazing" when you are waxing on top of a sealant. From what I read about your post; that is what you do. I do the same and very rarely will I use a wax as a stand alone.

Some waxes are great on there own and not on top of a sealant. In your case, the Candy Apple Red for the Mustang you have is a beautiful color.

But enough of my rambling. If you decide to apply a sealant 1st and then top off with a wax you can't go wrong with any of these (1st hand experience): Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax/liquid, P21 100% Carnauba, Sonax Carnauba, SON1C Phoenix and Menzerna Colorlock. All of these waxes are available from AGO. Additionally, these waxes are great on thier own.

I would shy away from any Collinite Wax 476, 915 or 845 IF you plan on doing a sealant on top of a wax. They "ghost or haze" quite a bit on top of a sealant. They are better off stand alone and excellent for that purpose. Dodo Juice Supernatural will ghost too. But it is awesome as a standalone wax.

I can name a few more but I think I have already confused you!!...LOL Good luck on your choice and please post pics when you are done!

These are all 1st hand experience with my ride and my friends rides. My methodology is that after I have finished the detail, I will let the car sit out in the sun for a minimum of 2 - 4 hours and then check for "ghosting or hazing". Your test may have different results so do not kill me if I am wrong with any of these waxes!!

Perhaps what Bob recommends?

But as Mike Phillips always says,
"The proof is in the pudding".
@OP:

Let me go out to the garage and get a few
shots of some deep-metallic pudding.

Be right back.

Bob

As promised:
Here's a few photos of FK1000P Hi-Temp,
applied upon a GM metallic BC/CC paint system.

Note(s)...
Photos taken:
-First using overhead fluorescents,
@ the: looks good from ~3-5 ft angle.
-Then using inspection lighting,
@ the: getting up close-and-personal angle

Personal opinion:
-I like the way "Metallics" are often "chameleonic"

image1573.jpg

image1574.jpg

image1575.jpg

image1572.jpg

Bob

Wow, that's some nice paint Bob even for a GM product.:laughing:

Is that just the fk 1000 or is there a sealant underneath?

Just the FK1000P.
No need for any other Sealant, IMO.

Bob

I believe it is a Hybrid Wax....need to try it. Thanks to you Bob!! I am not a hybrid wax fan but in this case I will make an exception because it's from Yoda!!

Luke Skywalker

I would shy away from any Collinite Wax 476, 915 or 845 IF you plan on doing a sealant on top of a wax. They "ghost or haze" quite a bit on top of a sealant. They are better off stand alone and excellent for that purpose. Dodo Juice Supernatural will ghost too. But it is awesome as a standalone wax.

I agree, I wouldn't do a sealant then 476/915/845. On the Mustang above, I did Advanced Swirl Remover & Advanced Finishing Polish then 915.

Bob, nice work on the Vette!

I just realized I made a boo boo. I meant to say if you are going to layer a wax on top of a sealant; avoid the Collinites. They ghost real easy.

If you are going to use a Hybrid wax avoid the sealant too. That would be redundant.

For best protection/durability/shine, I always use a sealant (Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant or BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, paint sealant, synthetic sealant, blackfire sealant) and it usually looks great w/o applying wax (considering key to shine is properly corrected/polished paint).

For "show car" look, I'll occasionally top with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Carnauba Wax is Brilliant on Red- Awesome on Black! Souvern is hand poured, one container at a time, and boxed with an ... as you can see "brilliant" on red!

Son1c carnaubavore!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have not tried that one...yet!! I do have his Phoenix wax and it is one of my Favs...Drew makes some good stuff!!

I have a jar of it and sooner or later I will get to it!

Back