PDA

View Full Version : Mystery spots on horizontal surfaces

LSNAutoDetailing
08-15-2015, 07:14 AM
when in direct (high-noon) sunlight, I can see tinny little spots in the horizontal surfaces. If you stand back 1' or more you can't see them, but if one was a bit OCD and got up close, only in direct sun-light (when sun is high in the sky) they are visible.

The car has been compounded at least 4 times this year... (trying different products and removing some swirls introduced by a body shop) and yet still they are there. And after each compounding, the car was gone over again with a finishing polish.. Thank goodness for Ford factory paint (microns are all still in the 140's to 150's)!

I have a theory, but if I'm right I'm afraid there is no way to get rid of them.

The car is 10 years old and had a single owner for the first 8 years who lived in a heavily wooded (pine trees) condo complex. I'm afraid these are sap etchings.

I think now that I have got the paint so free and clear of RIDS, Swirls, Scratches and other defects, the only thing that remains is some random bird etchings and these sap etchings.

Aside from a repaint (which one would have to be very OCD to take that step, which I'm not.... it's a 10 year old Mustang) Is there anything I can try? I have not done an IRON-X decon yet. Lastly would a wool pad and some Megs 105 do the trick?

I'm seriously not losing sleep over this, the car looks amazing, it's just the detailers curiosity is getting the better of me.

I wish I had pictures but my camera just can't pick them up.

Setec Astronomy
08-15-2015, 07:23 AM
What was the paint thickness before your 4 compoundings?

Where I'm going with that is, if they are etch marks you are going to need to remove some paint to get them out, sounds like maybe you haven't cut it hard enough.

Of course then you have to make the tradeoff of defect removal vs. paint longevity, that's if you really know how much clear you've removed and how much was removed before you owned the car.

TFTADetail
08-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Sap etching might be the cause.

Maybe try a section with wet sanding and see what you come up with.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Sap etching might be the cause.

Maybe try a section with wet sanding and see what you come up with.

Uggg not on my beloved Mustang.
I was going to try M105 in a test spot, and even that scares me.

My paint readings are all 140 - 150.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-15-2015, 07:29 PM
What was the paint thickness before your 4 compoundings?

Where I'm going with that is, if they are etch marks you are going to need to remove some paint to get them out, sounds like maybe you haven't cut it hard enough.

Of course then you have to make the tradeoff of defect removal vs. paint longevity, that's if you really know how much clear you've removed and how much was removed before you owned the car.

You are correct I have not cut enough.... Mostly Orange LC CCS with Pinnacle Swirl and Scratch Remover or Pinnacle Advanced Compound. All DAT and pretty safe.

I'm thinking a reading, a test spot with Orange LC CCS 4" pad and some M105 followed by Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

I may get a second opinion from another local detailer friend before I do anything.