Clothe top overspray

Buck91

Nov 2, 2011
How does everyone like to apply waterproofing/stainproofing to their clothe convertible tops? I recently cleaned and protected my clothe mustang cobra top with 303 cleaner and 303 fabric guard. While it went very well, was easy and came out great I found it very hard to avoid overspray of the fabric guard on particularly the glass but also the boy panels. For a second application I did mask off some of the glass which helped but wasn't perfect either. Masking off the entire area needed would use large amounts of tape and material. Does anybody have a better way? Would it be cost effective to brush on out of a bulk jug? Would that add any longevity to the application since it would probably be going on heavier?

Since over spray was so hard to avoid, I did get some practice cleaning it. Heavy application of window cleaner helped but wasn't 100% plus it got window cleaner on the uncured fabric. Isopropyl alcohol was better but also not perfect. Looks like a two step alcohol wipe followed later by a window cleaning. Any better ideas?

Perfect, exactly what I was thinking about! Now that I have two coats on with the overspray cleaned up, I hope that I won't get to test that method until next year but who knows.

Also, use a beach towel to cover up the glass. You can tape the top in place (and bottom if you're outdoors or there's a fan) and not have to worry about using a lot of tape.