Cleaning carpet on the cheap?

Based

Reaction score
What's a way to clean carpet/upholstery without buying a $500 hot water extractor? Is there a tool that I can buy for under $200 that does well?

I recommend the Bissel Spot Clean Pro, or rent a rug scrubber with an attachment.

I have the heated bissell green machine pro heat. It ran me about $100. Then i invested in Folex. Great cleaner. Spray folex, agitate then use the heated function to suck up the cleaner with just hot water.

You can get a McCulloch steamer and small spot extractor for less than $300 that will conquer 90% of the worst you will ever see.

I have the heated bissell green machine pro heat. It ran me about $100. Then i invested in Folex. Great cleaner. Spray folex, agitate then use the heated function to suck up the cleaner with just hot water.

Yeah I use Folex all the time. I showed it to my grandma also and she uses it for when her dogs stain the carpet and it works fine :).

That machine looks cool. It's basically a small hot water extractor?

Yeah I use Folex all the time. I showed it to my grandma also and she uses it for when her dogs stain the carpet and it works fine :).

That machine looks cool. It's basically a small hot water extractor?

Exactly. It works great for me.

So could I use that bissel thing on a full car or would it take forever?

This is the answer for those on a budget.

Oh ok. :)

I am now considering what Mark said earlier. What if I just get this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

and a 5hp shop vac? Same thing right? And I could use both the steamer and vac for other things. Would a steamer get stuck pet hair out of carpet?

Steam can blow out some pet hair, but won't be very efficient. The rubber brush and stones are more effective for me.

I did this today with a small bissel autocare pro heat and carpet/upholstery specific chemicals. They can tackle a lot.

53b752e428c100caf2478fbd43f29bd4.jpg

1eb0046661d6ffedb789f4a3a6e896e1.jpg

Hm. Wondering if my technique is good enough.

For carpet stains I pre-treat the area with spot remover, then let it sit for a minute. After that I'll take a bucket of the hottest water I can stand and dunk a MF towel in there, and slightly wring some water over the stain then wring the towel dry into the bucket and use the damp towel to work in and soak up the solution. Repeat till it no longer suds then suck dry with a wet vac.

For stubborn stains I'll use a terry towel on carpet, never on seats. Even more stubborn stains get a soft brush. Seats get a very soft brush and almost no water. Just a gentle rub with a damp solution filled towel till the dirt lifts off. Takes a while, I know, but I do t have a proper extractor yet and don't want water spots to resurface and re-stain the seats.

That being said, an extractor is top priority once the funds build up to a point where it would be a reasonable purchase.

For $50 you can tackle 90% of stains with a cheap black and decker corded drill and a yellow carpet brush attachment...I use this all the time and my expensive extractor the other 10% of the time...pretreat with any decent carpet cleaner, let it dwell for a minute or 2 and have at it..works like a charm.

So let me get this straight. Cleaning upholstery is pre treating by using a cleaner, agitating/scrubbing it, then spraying with hot water and then extracting?

Can I just get a 5hp rigid vac and folex and do the same thing?

So let me get this straight. Cleaning upholstery is pre treating by using a cleaner, agitating/scrubbing it, then spraying with hot water and then extracting?

Can I just get a 5hp rigid vac and folex and do the same thing?

Depends on the condition. I only use my extractor when it's necessary. I don't like wetting fabrics excessively when I don't have to. Just like paint, start with the least aggressive method. For me that is:

1. Cleaner on a towel with blotting
2. Cleaner on a towel with steam
3. Cleaner on surface, agitate, wet towel blot with water, dry towel blot
4. Cleaner on surface, agitate, hot water extract.

All this occurs after a dry brush and vac.

Depends on the condition. I only use my extractor when it's necessary. I don't like wetting fabrics excessively when I don't have to. Just like paint, start with the least aggressive method. For me that is:

1. Cleaner on a towel with blotting
2. Cleaner on a towel with steam
3. Cleaner on surface, agitate, wet towel blot with water, dry towel blot
4. Cleaner on surface, agitate, hot water extract.

All this occurs after a dry brush and vac.

What if my carpet and seats don't have stains but a layer of dirt? Like it looks fine but if I put cleaner on it and wipe with a towel brown comes off? It's a 1997 miata and it doesn't look like its been detailed in ages.

What if my carpet and seats don't have stains but a layer of dirt? Like it looks fine but if I put cleaner on it and wipe with a towel brown comes off? It's a 1997 miata and it doesn't look like its been detailed in ages.

According to the carpet cleaning research people, a simple dry brush and vacuum removes about 70% of soiling. If seats are really bad, my first step is to turn on the leaf blower and bat the seats with a brush blowing the dust out the other side until I don't get anymore dust coming out; then I dry brush and vac.

If you really want the rest of the dirt gone (for whatever reason), then an extractor is the way to do it IMHO.

You've got a convertible with cloth seats; the seats will continue to get dirt and dust in them. If 70% clean is acceptable to you, then I'd stop there if you can't actually see the dirt. I just don't like wetting seats if I don't have to.

Back